Sales tax from invoice

SuitedConnectorSuitedConnector Member Posts: 5

Can I enter the amount charged by the vendor for sales tax, rather than having to enter a tax rate? The problem is that I do not know the vendor's tax rate and I tried to figure out what it is but is seems that they charged different rates on different invoices. I don't really care how much sales tax was charged. I just want to enter the bills into the system and this is a huge stumbling block.

Comments

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @SuitedConnector !

It sounds like you are recording a bill in Wave. If you are trying to add sales tax to a bill item line, you won't be able to add it as an amount. You can only add sales tax as a percentage.

• paulpatpaulpat Member Posts: 19

I have a question similar to the original post. A great many of our business' expenses are restaurant meals. Sales tax applies to the meal, but not to the tip. Ideally, these expenses would import to Wave via upload or bank connection, then I would input the correct tax amount, which would not align with a regular provincial tax rate obviously. But this is not possible. What is the best practice here?

It seems like I would be expected to split the entry to a regular entry with tax, and then have the tip without tax. Logical, but at least 5x the work compared to just overwriting the tax field with the value written on the receipt.

The same will apply in many situations, like where a complicated invoice comprises taxed and untaxed elements, or elements with different rates etc. All I really case about is the total tax. I would think this is a common situation so there must be a solution I haven't come across yet.

Similarly, I incorrectly billed a client 14% HST when I should have billed 13% once. It's recoverable anyway so it's a moot point from the CRA's perspective, but I had to create a fake tax rate to account for this wave and now I have a "fake_14%" rate in with all the rest. There must be a better way. Thanks.

Edit
    OMG - You can just freaking edit the tax.

Cancel post.

edited March 16, 2021