Sales and Sales Retail

BeccaBecca Member Posts: 2

While looking at my invoice under income category i some under 'sales', and another under 'sales-retail products'. Please whats is the difference between these two and how can i merge them. thank you

Comments

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @Becca !

I moved your post to the Accounting Technical Support thread, as I think you'll be able to find similar resources to answer your question here :smile:

Of the two categories that you see, Sales is an income account automatically created by Wave in your Chart of Accounts. It's used to track income through the sale of products/services. The Sales - Retail Products is most likely a user-created income category, with a similar function.

It's not currently possible to merge accounts, but you can always go through your Transactions, and use the Bulk Edit feature to re-categorise any transactions to the desired account. If you wish, you can then go to your Chart of Accounts, and archive one of the accounts, by clicking the pencil icon next to it, and selecting "Archive this account".

That said, if a product/service has been added to an invoice that has already been paid, it's not possible to change the income account currently attached to that item. You can change it for future invoices, by going to Sales > Products & Services, and clicking the pencil icon next to it, but this won't update past categorisation of this item.

Let me know if I've misunderstood anything here, and I'll be happy to help!

edited March 3, 2021