Options

change income category for previous invoice payments?

plutekplutek Member Posts: 20

greetings!

previously, i didn't realize that income from paid invoices is categorized according to the income account designated for each item on the invoice. (i just made my invoice items without noticing and appropriately changing the income account for each one). this means that i've ended up with a bunch of income which just shows up in the first available income account (which is the default setting when you make an invoice item).

i'd like to re-categorize those various invoice payments to the correct income accounts.

for invoices, the "category" field in the transaction record normally shows the invoice number, the customer name, and the fact that there's a 0 balance on the paid invoice. the assignment of that income to an income account happens "behind the scenes" and doesn't appear to be editable... if i change the "category" field to where i want the income to show up, the transaction gets unlinked from the corresponding invoice, and the invoice status becomes "unpaid".

so... is there any way to access and change which income account an invoice payment is assigned to, after the invoice has been recorded as paid?

thanks in advance... cheers!
.pltk.

p.s. i'm now making my invoices with sales items which are properly designated to appropriate income accounts, so everything is reporting properly... yay! it's just the older, already paid invoices that i'm trying to fix.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @plutek !

As you may know, your products and services that are on your invoice will fall under the income account you selected when creating them. If you want to edit the income account selected for a product or service, you can do so by heading over to Sales > Products and Services > the product/service in question > press the pen icon. You can then select the income account of your choosing or create a new one. However, once you edit the income account, the changes won't be applied to the product/service retroactively on previous invoices. Instead, you will have to go into each invoice, remove the product/service item line and re-add it so the new income account that you selected is being applied to the product/service in question for your existing invoices. I hope this helps. :smile:

edited April 28, 2021
  • Options

aha... so i can do that to the invoices, after they've been marked "paid", without destroying the invoice status or how it's linked to the payment transaction?

• Options
    KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @plutek,

That's correct! Whilst usually it's not possible to edit invoices which have been marked as paid, if you are only deleting and re-adding the same items, the invoice will allow you to Save and Continue, which will move the product/service sales into the correct income accounts.

The payment transactions will not be removed and will still be linked to the invoice, and the invoice will remain "Paid" :smile:

• Options

wow. beautiful! thanks a lot for confirming, @KiahD !