Van purchase

snappyfishsnappyfish Member Posts: 55

Hi, I'm a sole trader and have just purchased a van outright no finance with money from my business account, how do I show for this in Wave? It's currently showing uncategorised expense.

Comments

• OrionsBeltsOrionsBelts Member Posts: 27 ✭✭

That's easy enough. First thing, @snappyfish, create yourself an asset account for your van on your chart of accounts. Then, just set that asset account as your category for that expense. And voila!

You'll have more work in front of you once you start working in depreciation, or when you sell the thing in a few years (to fund the purchase of a bigger and better van!), but that's all you have to worry about for now.

• snappyfishsnappyfish Member Posts: 55

@OrionsBelts said:
    That's easy enough. First thing, @snappyfish, create yourself an asset account for your van on your chart of accounts. Then, just set that asset account as your category for that expense. And voila!

You'll have more work in front of you once you start working in depreciation, or when you sell the thing in a few years (to fund the purchase of a bigger and better van!), but that's all you have to worry about for now.

Why doesn't wave have this as default? Surely vehicle is a common purchase?

• snappyfishsnappyfish Member Posts: 55

ok, so I created under chart of accounts in "Asset" a "Van Asset Account" and my transaction for van £5995 now shows on Balance sheet under "asset" for debit on £5995

This correct accounting for now?

edited June 15, 2018
  • AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @snappyfish.

It is a common asset to have, but different vehicles are usually kept as separate accounts, so you can more easily keep track of their value, and handle the resell later down the road.

Yes, that looks good! If you eve have to deal with depreciation, here's how to handle that.