Expense by Customer

bxeincbxeinc Member Posts: 4

I'm moving over from Quickbook and need to run reports based on an individual Customer.
I used to be able to do this in Quickbook by running a P&L report and filtering by Customer Name.,
I can't seem to figure out how to show income and expenses for indivudual customers... Is there a way to do this???

Thanks

Comments

• bxeincbxeinc Member Posts: 4

Also... I cant log expense by Job or Customer... I'm a contractor and I need to be able to categorize expenses based on a particular Job.

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @bxeinc.

There's currently no dedicated feature to handle this in Wave. You would have to create individual expense accounts for different clients or jobs to keep track of those expenses separately.

As for charging it back to your clients, we have an article on the subject on the Help Center that might help out.

Let me know if that helps!

• angienixonangienixon Member Posts: 2

I have a similar need and am not understanding whether this solution is one I can implement for our purposes. We don't purchase materials until a client's project is determined and the bid accepted. Once the client accepts our bid, we purchase the necessary equipment (technology field), take delivery, configure accordingly, and install the solution/complete the project. We then invoice for time and materials, collecting tax from the end user on the goods (and we do not pay tax when we purchase them).

How can we show expense vs gain, per customer, or even in general? We don't really have "inventory", as it isn't purchased until the client needs it, and is then immediately incorporated into their project and invoice.

Thanks for any advice.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @angienixon . This isn't currently a function of the Wave platform. You could do some manual manipulation by calculating the difference between what you pay your vendor for the necessary equipment, and how much you sell the equipment/your services for, but there's nothing in Wave that will calculate this for you automatically at the moment.

• anjinsananjinsan Member Posts: 1

I've been looking for a similar function as @bxeinc. Can anyone tell me what the "customer" field is for in transaction details? At first glance is seems like a good place to add a cutomer to track expenses by customer.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @anjinsan . This currently doesn't lead to any of the reports, but we built it into the system with plans that we can build it out some more in the future. Currently, it's more of a reference point when opening a transaction.

• handymanhandyman Member Posts: 4

Wish I'd googled this BEFORE spending a few hours going through each receipt and adding a customer! Thinking it would be nice to run a report and see the cost of materials going into each customers job...

Oh, well. Something to do in lockdown.

p.s. given the complexity of WAVE, running a filter by each customer would appear (to the layman at least) to be a comparatively simple addition, no?

edited April 10, 2020
  • johnsicilijohnsicili Member Posts: 8

Any updates on this? A simple report that says expense by customer would suffice. Like others, we already have this useless field filled with data and just need to report on it. Thank you

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @johnsicili

Unfortunately we have no updates to whether this is going to be implemented in the near future. Thanks for reaching out in our community.

That is very unfortunate to hear! By the sound of this, the team hasn't started working on it yet, but it wouldn't take long at all to complete if they were to work on it? For a request that has been open for 2 years and is obviously of huge value, I would think this would feature would make it to the top of your backlog! It also seems like 50% of the work is done (i.e. the data is stored) and we just need to pull that into a report. Please reconsider getting this quick win scheduled up and at least give us a timeline?

• NealBNealB Member Posts: 2

Implementing filtering by Customer (and Vendor while they're at it) would be very simple. No different than filtering by Category or Type. Lots of users have asked for this over the years. Not clear why they haven't just done it it yet though it seems they're trying to keep Wave as bare-bones as possible. I assume it's because they want to keep it simple for users that don't know how to use accounting software and / or just don't like bookkeeping chores. My boss E.G. has grown to sort of like Wave over the years though he fought like hell in the beginning to avoid it. He just hates accounting and using the books to do any kind of analysis of his business and operations was annoying to him. IMHO It's kind of lame to have an accounting program that won't allow its users to use all the information it records...especially transactions related to Customers for gosh sakes...but that's Wave for you. It's hobbled in a lot of ways.

@NealB I kind of agree with your comment about keeping it bare bones, but also thinking Wave is just not paying attention to customer requests and improving their platform. If you go to the accounting section and click what's new, there isn't a SINGLE update in 2020. The entire year went without an improvement... November 28, 2019 is the last one. They did recently introduce a beta for this accounting view which is a step back... you can't even filter by Categories beyond high level accounts. Rather than making the slightest changes to the accounting view, why not respect what your customers are asking for? I've been following several highly requested and SIMPLE features that this team can't even give a timeline or ANY info for. Is this a dying product?

• VC_ASVC_AS Member Posts: 1

I can't believe I just filled out a customer field for all my expenses without there being a way to filter/sort/search/report using that field. Why even show it to users?

edited January 13, 2021
  • bethrieggerbethriegger Member Posts: 1

You would think this would be a super easy thing to implement just in the transactions. The ability to export ALL of the info listed on each transaction could be in a CSV and then we can filter whatever column we wish in Excel. I just ran a transaction report and there is only date, name, amount and balance. Why not list data entry in each individual transaction? Let us do the filtering. Please make this a priority.

• VisserCustomHomesVisserCustomHomes Member Posts: 1

Hi All!

I too have noticed that there is not a canned report to filter expense by customer, but there is a workaround and I'm actually surprised nobody has offered (yes, the Customer field is included). You can simply export the data to a .csv or excel file and table/filter from there.

To perform a data export:
    Click Settings.
    Scroll down to the bottom of the menu that appears, and click Data Export.
    Under the Accounting heading, choose the format in which you want to receive your export. You can export for Excel or as a CSV. ...
    The export will be sent to the primary email address you use for Wave.

Cheers!

Justin

• menjivarlopezmenjivarlopez Member Posts: 1

This would be an awesome feature to add on WAVE. I think many of us would appreciate the addition of this functionality to the platform!