Withholding Tax

2»

Comments

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @Fanlike! Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback here! I'm sorry we are unable to fully support what your business needs at the moment. Right now, I have no further news or developments to provide. Hopefully this is something we can visit soon. The number of people posting here is not going unnoticed and we appreciate your voice on this!

• TirabuzonesTirabuzones Member Posts: 1

Have created a user account just to add my voice to all the others who are absolutely disbelieving that a negative tax option cannot be simply added.

From Japan (10.21 withholding tax).

• spiral_architectspiral_architect Member Posts: 1

Echoing all of the above comments. This feature is an absolute must and should be prioritized.

This situation actually applies to Ontario, Canada as well. I am a contractor who invoices my client for $X, and when I get paid by my payment processor the amount received is $X - 0.13%. This is a withholding amount for a WSIB premium (Provincial worker's compensation insurance).

It's a pain in the behind on how to document this, because I want to funnel the difference to my expense account. Particularly to Insurance – General Liability.

Any updates on when this feature will be live?

• DedricDedric Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

# Echoing all of the above comments. This feature is an absolute must and should be prioritized.

I can only agree with @spiral_architect ! Well said

• AndrewMcCAndrewMcC Member Posts: 2

@Tirabuzones said:
    Have created a user account just to add my voice to all the others who are absolutely disbelieving that a negative tax option cannot be simply added.

I have done the same, and to post a link to this page displaying a table which provides Statutory WHT rates on dividend, interest, and royalty payments made by companies in WWTS territories to residents and non-residents: http://taxsummaries.pwc.com/ID/Withholding-tax-(WHT)-rates

Hard thought should be given to the ethics of marketing this app as being a global solution working for users all over the world when this single feature demonstrates a very parochial vision of "global". A bit like the baseball "World Series".

• toniloutonilou Member Posts: 6

Hi, in the case of Spain (and possibly many other countries) it would enough if we could create a Tax with a negative %. So I'd create a tax called "IRPF-15" with "-15%" as value. This will give the proper invoice amount (gross amount + all taxes, be it positive or negative). But today it is not possible to create taxes with negative %.

A checkmark on the tax editor called "This is negative tax", or maybe just allow us to enter negative % values, will do it.

edited March 30, 2020

@tonilou yes, this is a real problem.
    This thread is from almost 2 years ago, and despite being raised as a "priority feature" by the Community (ie "we need it so bad we can't even understand why it's not possible already"),
    it seems that the dev team doesn't really care about needs from Customers [especially when outside US or Canada]…

It's been said many times, but just in case, here it is again: THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT AND WELL NEEDED FEATURE FOR BUSINESSES IN MANY COUNTRIES!

Thank you for you attention.

• SuperAticSuperAtic Member Posts: 2

@EmmaP @Charlotte @TylerK @JordanD @KelseyRodricks @Katie_Silkina @BarsinA Listen to the Community -->> Forward to Dev Team +1

here is my +1

• StratosStratos Member Posts: 1

I've been trying to use Wave since I started my business as a freelancer, many years ago. I like your work, but always fall back to using Google Docs/Spreadsheet, as I stumble on this ancient problem of the withholding tax, that hasn't been addressed by your team yet.

Please, listen to the community. I understand you have priorities, but this shouldn't be a hard fix, if you just added negative tax support.

• ctradectrade Member Posts: 1

We're a Puerto Rican-based company and need this too. Many Americans are moving here to start businesses and it'd be nice to use Wave.

• Momo233Momo233 Member Posts: 1

I am adding to this petition. Accounting can be a make or break foundation of any business of any size. Waveapp is an especially beneficial resource to small-medium size enterprises but in countries such as Ghana where the ability/non-ability to add withholding (negative) taxes on my invoices and vendor bills really precludes me from benefiting from wave app.
    If there is anything the WAVEAPP development team can do to add this feature, you will literally be saving some businesses out there. PLEASE!!!

• ManfredYossarianManfredYossarian Member Posts: 1

Another +1, this time from Thailand.
    Solution seems soooo simple, just allow Negative Tax Rates!

Guess I will have to look elsewhere then

@EmmaP @Charlotte @Alexia @TylerK @JordanD @KelseyRodricks @Barsin

Would someone at Wave like to give the Community an update ? (last comment from you was almost a year ago!)

thanks

edited September 14, 2020
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @Dedric

I do appreciate you reaching out about an update on this. Presently we don't have the ability to add a withholding tax in our program. I understand this is not the news you were hoping to hear. Wave's team has not mentioned this any updates around this however if it is something we feature we will update this thread with more info. Thanks again.

ok, thanks for the update.
    it's a disappointing answer (in terms of hoping this feature to ever be available), but at least it's a transparent answer.
    Cheers

• VistaroVistaro Member Posts: 0

HI All
    As you probably know a foreigner operating in the US with a US bank account has a withholding tax applied to any bank interest credited to their account, can anyone advise how I should handle this in Wave ie what category should the amount be placed in?

edited November 6, 2020
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Vistaro , I've merged your thread into this one for deeper insight into the situation. Currently, we don't have the functionality to handle a withholding tax at the moment I'm afraid.

• Marian0Marian0 Member Posts: 2

Hello to everyone,

First, THANK YOU, because this is for free.

From my side, I see that is not %100 correct the idea of having negative values for WHT (With Holding Taxes).
    When We create an invoice of (example) u$s 100, the customer pay to his Government (example with %10) u$s 10, and to Us u$s 90.

I understand what We really need is a way to register payment of cash for u$s 90 and another one (not cash) for the u$s 10. At the end of the day, the customer pays u$s 100. And for Us, We receive u$s 100 depending on if our country has a contract with the customer country. Those u$s 10 are discounted from year taxes (just presenting the WHT certificate).

So, the problem We have is (and here my question), how can We register some amount from the total invoice that will not be paid as cash but yes with a certificate?

Basically We need to register the full invoice was paid with two different instruments (cash plus certificate).

Thank you, I appreciate it.
    Mariano

edited February 10, 2021
  • SuperAticSuperAtic Member Posts: 2

After nearly 3 years from the beginning of this thread, the only update we have received is that from November 30, 2020, new Wave account sign-ups are limited to US and Canadian business owners only. Translated to a digestible language: we will NOT supporting business outside the US & CA in the future. Yep... so disappointing, and you're not the only one... look at the over 11 pages of comments on this thread!

The Announcement: https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/9686/dec-1-changes-to-wave-for-users-outside-of-the-united-states-and-canada

We'll probably never see a _negative TAX _ input in WaveApps features list. This is so frustrating for us too as, yes we do business in the US, but we also operate in other countries.

The Takeaway: Let's understand change as part of the evolution and embrace it :wink:

edited February 10, 2021
  • KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hi @Marian0 !

To record an invoice payment paid with 2 different sources, you can create 2 different income transactions, and categorise each as "Payment received for an invoice in Wave > Invoice #..."!

You can create a separate account in your Chart of Accounts to represent the certificate, which you can record the second part of the invoice payment under. Learn more here.

In terms of the details of how to set up this account, this is outside the scope of what we can advise on, so I would recommend reaching out to a registered CPA for more advice. If you're planning on using this account to represent Withholding Tax, I would also confirm with a registered CPA if this method is compliant in your country.

edited February 18, 2021
  • Marian0Marian0 Member Posts: 2

Thank You @KiahD !!!
    This is for an US company, so I believe It will be OK. I will check with our CPA. I appreciate it.

Congrats on the app, and THANK YOU !!!!!!!
    From my perspective, the only thing would be great to add is having templates for proposal and the possibility to add information to them (like a presentation letter or whatever).

Best,
    Mariano

edited February 22, 2021
  • nathashabonetnathashabonet Member Posts: 1

Hi! Hope everyone is okay. Is there an update on adding the Withholding Tax feature on Wave? This is a popular request among the community and very important to running our businesses. Please! It is a real headache not having this option on a platform dedicated to managing your accounting. Any update on WHEN this feature will be LIVE?

@nathashabonet I would not set my hopes too high if I was you….
    just read through the previous messages in this thread, and you will quickly realise they don't care about this feature request.

If you'd like to hear the official (and politically correct) Wave's statement, let's hear what @EmmaP @Charlotte @Alexia @TylerK @JordanD @KelseyRodricks @Barsin have to say.

In the mean time, here is a copy of 2 previous comments:

• KristenVKristenV Member Posts: 121 admin

Hi @nathashabonet , at this time there is no update on a withholding tax feature in Wave but I do appreciate you reaching out to share your interest in this. If this feature does become available we will be sure to update this thread with more information. Thanks.