Paypal Import

snappyfishsnappyfish Member Posts: 55

Paypal doesn't auto import? Unless I go to

Integrations > Pencil Icon > then click save button

Comments

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @snappyfish.

It should update automatically and your transactions should show up a few days after they happen. Clearing your browser's cache might also help.

Have you had transactions waiting for more than 2-3 days?

• Options

I'll keep an eye on this. I'll wait until next transaction and see what happens.

• Options

ok, payment made on 24th to PayPal. On 28th still nothing showing in transactions.

I goto Integrations > Paypal > Pencil Icon > then click save button

Then goto transactions and they appear.

• Options

so... PayPal transactions still do not import unless I go to

Integrations > Paypal > Pencil Icon > then click save button.

I do not do many PayPal transactions, so when one goes through I allow some time, the latest one 3rd Jan, still not showing in wave transactions today so I did the above?

Any ideas?

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@snappyfish To be frank, our PayPal integration is in need of some work. We are currently exploring other options in order to make sure that the transactional data coming from PayPal integrations are importing correctly, and accurately. With that said, I feel as though your best option here is to import PayPal statements manually (as if they were bank statements) under the transactions section.

• Options
    Theresa_Earth1stTheresa_Earth1st Member Posts: 0

PayPal hasn't updated in a while. How can I get it to sync?

• Options
    SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I would recommend attempting to 'refresh' the connection using the following instructions:

Click Integrations, then click the pen icon to the right of the Paypal integration to edit that connection. When you open this window you will be able to adjust the date field to import from one day prior to the date you currently have listed. Doing this will act as a manual refresh and prompt the system to pull any transactions that have not been automatically imported.

If this does not resolve the issue, then, unfortunately, the connection is most likely broken, and as a result, it will be necessary to upload your PayPal transactions using a .csv upload. I realize that this is far from ideal, but given the current state of our PayPal integrations, you may find that this approach causes fewer headaches in the long run. The first step will be to download your PayPal history here: https://www.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/downloadable-outside
    Then format the .csv file so that it fits the format below:

01/01/2015, Description 1, -250
    01/02/2015, Description 2, 550.50
    01/02/2015, Description 3, -120.75

Uploading the resulting file should allow you to get all of your PayPal transactions recorded in Wave.

You could also upload the PayPal statement to Google Sheets, and import it directly into Wave which may be a little easier. You can find out more details here: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272-Wave-Connect-Easily-import-and-export-data-with-Wave-s-Google-Sheets-add-on-

I hope that this has been of some help, and I apologize for any limitation on our end. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help!

• Options
    accounting4meaccounting4me Member Posts: 26

Hi there.
    No PayPal transactions are showing up in wave

When I made a PayPal business account, PayPal asked me to confirm my bank account with two small deposits (3cents and 4cents)
    Those small deposits have shown up on my bank statement.
    I have made sales since that have gone into my PayPal account, (which where put on hold in PayPal because of the new account) and they didn't show up in wave. I assumed it was because they where on hold and were not "available funds".
    But on the 21st of feb someone made a payment that went strait into my available funds in PayPal and the transaction is still not showing up in wave.
    its the 25th now.

Can someone please help me figure out what I can do to make this work.

edited February 25, 2019
  • Options
  • Options

Anyone?

• Options

I just did this and then it appeared in my Transaction:
    Integrations > Paypal > Pencil Icon > then click save button.

Can I just keep repeating this when a new payment comes through or will it make duplicates of transactions that have already uploaded?

• Options
    > @JamieD said:
    > @snappyfish To be frank, our PayPal integration is in need of some work. We are currently exploring other options in order to make sure that the transactional data coming from PayPal integrations are importing correctly, and accurately. With that said, I feel as though your best option here is to import PayPal statements manually (as if they were bank statements) under the transactions section.

ok, so at the moment I click pencil icon under integrations for account named "paypal business" It then imports transactions under "paypal 1"

What I do currently is is click the transaction and it shows "paypal 1" but I then select "paypal business" to move it to that account.

Would this be ok? Why does it keep choosing a "paypal 1" account?
    edited March 30, 2019
  • Options
    QuaintlyQuaintly Member Posts: 2

This is so disappointing! I found "Wave" through Etsy today and, reading about it, decided it would be worth using to combine my ebay and etsy data rather than maintaining a massive spreadsheet. I have happily been integrating my Etsy transactions and allocating them to various accounts. Then I decided to integrate my Paypal transactions (to get my ebay transactions as I use eBay to both buy and sell items) only to find it only imported the last 2 months worth of Paypal data and I wanted the full 2018/19 UK tax year to date.
    I tried various things for a while to try to get it all, only to find, when I came here and searched, that PayPal integration isn't supported - so why still have it on the integration list?
    I see that I can import it from a .csv file but that doesn't move me much further forward than downloading it on to a spreadsheet.
    Very sad as I enjoy what I've seen so far of Wave. I may persevere a bit but don't want to waste too much time if it doesn't work. Paypal .csvs aren't as good or user-friendly as they used to be.
    Wouldn't it be helpful to flag early on that Wave can't currently cope with PayPal? I can see that would turn away custom but maybe better that than really tick people off by wasting their precious admin time?

• Options
    SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

@snappyfish - that does sound like what you're doing is correct. It is likely defaulting to PayPal1 first because alphanumerically it would be first in a list. But if you've moved everything out of PayPal1, or aren't using it anymore, you could also archive/delete it in your Chart of Accounts. This way, PayPal business should become the default list item!

@Quantity - I definitely agree that this is a less than ideal user experience, and I think it would be helpful if we were more transparent from the get-go that there are limitations and difficulties with our PayPal connection. I will also be taking this feedback to our Product Team. Unfortunately I don't have a solid answer now about how or when this system could or will be improved, but I know overall we are actively working on our APIs and integrations to allow for a larger number of better and more customizable third-party app integrations. A lot of the focus thus far has been around using Zapier to automate PayPal (or other processor) sales generating, populating, and paying Wave invoices. But as it stands our current integrations have fallen behind in priority in comparison to building out our own payments processor, as well as direct, in-app functionality. I think, given that you may be using both our Etsy and PayPal integrations, it would be helpful for us (if you are interested in providing it - and no worries if not, I totally understand small business owner's are strapped for time on the best days) how you'd like to see integrations work in a way that would be seamless for your business (also, it is totally okay if the answer is even just integrations that always work).

• Options

@Samd said:
    @snappyfish - that does sound like what you're doing is correct. It is likely defaulting to PayPal1 first because alphanumerically it would be first in a list. But if you've moved everything out of PayPal1, or aren't using it anymore, you could also archive/delete it in your Chart of Accounts. This way, PayPal business should become the default list item!

The problem, I have no PayPal1 in chart of accounts. I click on PayPal business and click save in Integrations, that's all I do to get anything imported, but it creates PayPal1

• Options
    QuaintlyQuaintly Member Posts: 2

@Samd - thank you for acknowledging the issue and for feeding it back up the line.
    The Wave account i set up has been messed up now with the PayPal download - if I delete the account I set up yesterday, will I be able to:
    1. Re-register for a new account with the same email account
    2. Will I be able to integrate my Etsy account into Wave again or will it stop me because it thinks I've already done it?
    Thank you!

• Options
    tylertervoorentylertervooren Member Posts: 5

The Paypal integration has been hopelessly broken for years. As long as I can remember. Maybe as far back as 2012 or 13. I wish Wave would just remove it. It's a stain on their otherwise awesome reputation.

• Options
    joesideasjoesideas Member Posts: 4

I've been manually importing paypal for a year now and as a developer of automated solutions it just grinds my gears every time haha like man, I do I have to click Integrations and enter a date every time... computers should be doing that.

I have a couple proposals:

a) What if you had a setting that triggers the PayPal integration with the date of the last PayPal transaction? (taking the manual part out of it)

b) Or what if you put the paypal integration code (or at least a snippet) on github and let us take a look and try to fix it.

c) Or, what if you changed the free version from 0 to $1/yr and used those funds to tighten the app up?

This PayPal issue shouldn't be that difficult. Great app otherwise 👍

• Options
    EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @joesideas! Thanks for reaching out to provide your feedback. We know that the PayPal integration has been a source of frustration as we have not prioritized further developments for it. I appreciate the various options you have provided to us! At this time I have no news on the PayPal integration to share but hopefully this changes in the near future.