Import from Quicken? Easy transition?

Walter GruningerWalter Gruninger Member Posts: 1

Hello! I was wondering if I could import my Quicken file to use as a continuous register rather than starting anew as a Wave client?

Comments

• Jose MastrocolaJose Mastrocola Member Posts: 1

Hello! I believe Wave supports importing transaction history through spreadsheets, can you do that with Quicken?

• GERALDO HevnerGERALDO Hevner Member Posts: 3

^as above I belive wave supports various kinds of importing

• GERALDO HevnerGERALDO Hevner Member Posts: 3

checked, and it looks like .QFX (Quicken) files are supported, so you should be able to get your history in that way and then continue adding to it either with the connection or by downloading files from your bank

• Eric_MAEDSEric_MAEDS Member Posts: 1

QFX files are files that you download from your bank to upload TO Quicken. QXF are what we can export FROM Quicken. I've got years of data in Quicken that are all categorized. I haven't found a way to import from Quicken that would transfer over everything. I don't have time to go through thousands of transactions to re-categorize everything, so this feature missing is keeping me from switching to Wave.

• Andy_Manitou2020Andy_Manitou2020 Member Posts: 1

Can you import .qdfm (Quicken) files into Waves? Like the above, i have years of Quicken data i cant possibly manually import, line by line.
    This is also stopping me migrate to Waves, as I can't find a way, so far.

:neutral: Can any Wavesperts out there help please? Is there a way to do this or not? :neutral:

edited January 23, 2020
  • ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Andy_Manitou2020 and all!

In order to import your Quicken data into Wave, you'd need to have it in .QFX format. .QDFM files will not work, unfortunately, as they are not supported.

• MOOMOO Member Posts: 7

The file format that you export from Quicken is QXF format, NOT QFX, which is the format exported by banks to import into Quicken. Can some advanced user please say if QXF files that you export from Quicken can be imported into Wave and how? Thanks

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @MOO

Below are the formats that our software allows you to import:

Typically we allow for bank formatted downloads since this is directly where you'd want to get your transactions for proper reconciliation.

However that's not to say that with a bit of reformatting and potentially importing into a google spreadsheet and re-exporting you can't get your files into Wave. Some of these files should be able to be opened in most spreadsheets and could potentially be reformatted for CSV if you'd like to troubleshoot your upload in a different way.

edited June 22, 2020

Hi @BarsinA,
    Thank you for your reply, but it still doesn't achieve what I am trying to do. My problem is that I have many years of quicken entries that include the amount of transaction, description of payee, categories of transaction etc. It's not clear to me how I could import these into Waves while preserving the description of payee as well as the categories of transactions. I can export the data in my quicken file as a QXF file. However Waves will not import a QXF file.
    I can create a CSV report with the amount, description and category in different columns. However, it's not clear to me how to import the CSV file into Wave and automatically preserve the categories of the transactions. So, I am having to enter the categories by hand for my legacy data. If you know how to automatically import the categories from Quicken or from a spreadsheet, kindly explain how to me here.
    Regards,
    Moyo

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @MOO , unfortunately you cannot import categories with your transactions. When importing transactions into Wave through Wave Connect the only options you have are date, description and amount.

Unfortunately, you would have to categorize these transactions on your own.

Thanks for your reply. It would be great though if Wave provides that capability.