Debit in accrued salary due to advanced salary being paid off

CarolLeeCarolLee Member Posts: 3

Hi, the staff is paying back her advanced salary by deducting her monthly salary. I'm trying capture this transaction when payment is made but seems like Wave doesn't allow debit transactions in accrued salary. How should I treat this transaction?

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @CarolLee.

You should be able to do this with a journal entry. Can you walk me through exactly what you're doing right now? It'll give me a better idea of how to help you.

If you can give me a screenshot of what's causing the issue, it'll help as well.

• CarolLeeCarolLee Member Posts: 3

This is my entry of paying her salary of 3000:

Debit Accrued Salary 2500
    Debit Accrued Bonus 2000
    Credit Advanced Salary 1500
    Credit Cash at Bank 3000

The above entries are made under expense.

TQ

edited August 1, 2018

Hi, @CarolLee.

Are you making this transaction as a Journal Transaction? If so, it should work just fine. What happens when you try to save it?

• CarolLeeCarolLee Member Posts: 3

No, it is not a journal transaction. It is an expense because I have issued a cheque to this staff, so I must capture it in expense. The message was: There was an error saving.

Hi @CarolLee.

Try doing this as a journal transaction. It'll still record as an expense in your reports and will bring down the balance on your bank account. You won't able to log this transaction as a simple expense on the transactions page.

Using the "Add an expense" button allows you to create simple transactions that are converted to double-entry accounting in the background. For something more complex, like you're trying to do, you'll need a journal entry.