Australia GST

RomalokaRomaloka Member Posts: 1

Is there anyway to have the functionality of gst included in transactions? Expenses and Income? I have not been able to add the gst component through the sales tax feature. Do I need to subscribe to enable that feature? Thank you....

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @Romaloka.

You would have to add the GST as a sales tax and then add it to transactions that are affected by GST as well. Can you tell me a bit more about the issue you're running into?

Note that the price of your items on invoices will always be before taxes. Taxes will be added on top of that amount on the invoice. It isn't currently possible to calculate taxes backwards from the total of a line item on an invoice.

• peter_lawbrokerspeter_lawbrokers Member Posts: 1

How do I add GST to an expense? I have added the GST, GST Free and N-T codes and they only works on invoices not expenses? Please help asap

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey @peter_lawbrokers and welcome to the Wave Community Forum!

If you are looking to add a Sales Tax to an expense, you can do so straight from the transactions page. In the Transaction Detail panel that opens to the right of the transaction when you select it, you should have the option to add a Sales Tax to it.

• beancounterbeancounter Member Posts: 10

The answer to the original question in this thread contained the statement that "It isn't currently possible to calculate taxes backwards from the total of a line item on an invoice" Australian GST regulations do not require suppliers to state the amount of GST included in some invoices. It would be a very useful improvement to be able to post the total amount of a suppliers bill, add the tax code and then have Wave calculate the amount of GST included. Are there any plans to introduce this feature?

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @beancounter

Not that we've heard of at the moment but I do appreciate your feedback as our dev team usually scours these threads for future updates.

• Sonia9180Sonia9180 Member Posts: 2

I would like to add my request to the one above from beancounter. In Australia suppliers must make the invoice out for the total amount including GST. It is therefore essential to have an accounting program that calculates the GST component of expenses backwards. Has there been any further consideration of this request?

• VeloxRacingVeloxRacing Member Posts: 2

Isn't that what JordanD has said how to do in his reply ?

We have GST here in Jersey which is on all invoices we receive, once I import the invoices/payments I manually go to the entry as JordanD has explained and select the GST option (we set up) for 5% GST on purchases and it creates the entry and calculates the GST paid on that invoice.

In the Reports Account Transactions (general ledger) I can select a filter for my created GST on purchases and run a report on how much GST we have paid out.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Sonia9180 , can you explain what you mean by calculating backwards? Are you saying that the price itself needs to already include the GST instead of having it added to the price? A deeper explanation would be great so I can have a better understanding.

• Sonia9180Sonia9180 Member Posts: 2

Hi AlexL, thanks for your question. Yes, the price needs to already include GST. Unfortunately in Australia the law is that we quote prices and make out invoices with the GST included. Generally a service or item costs a round figure (including the GST) ... for example $100 and then the GST is calculated backwards as being $9.09. Funny way to do things, but it is actually illegal to quote a price without including GST. So, in terms of our needs from a bookkeeping program, ideally we need to be able to add the expense including the GST and have the program calculate it backwards. Hope that makes sense.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Sonia9180

This is interesting to learn about and thanks for posting this in our community. I apologize that this is something that our system cannot do at this time. I wonder if you can do this manually. For example:

Create a product for $100 (gst included, but don't add this to your invoice).
    The income account will show a full $100 without GST, but if you then create a journal transaction to move the funds ($9.09) from income and account (debit) and then credit it to your GST account this would show up in your account transactions (general ledger) report. It won't however appear in your sales tax report unfortunately.

• HUB4LEARNERSHUB4LEARNERS Member Posts: 1

Tax invoices

GSTR 2013/1 Goods and services tax: tax invoices sets out the information requirements for a tax invoice in more detail.

Eg.

"31. Where a tax invoice shows multiple categories of items supplied as taxable supplies, that are identified separately (for example on a 'multiple-line' basis), the price for each item that is supplied as a taxable supply does not have to be shown. Only the price for each category of taxable supplies (for example, each line of taxable supplies on the tax invoice) need be shown.

_Example 2- description and price of what is supplied

1. A stationery store sells 20 pens, 10 boxes of staples and 4 staplers to Jim, who requests a tax invoice. The tax invoice may show these items as:

20 pens 20.00

10 boxes of staples 10.00

4 staplers 140.00

GST 17.00

Total price $187.00

Each item supplied is fully taxable._"

(1. This Ruling sets out the information requirements for a tax invoice under subsection 29-70(1) of the A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999 (GST Act).[1] It also explains when a document is in the approved form for a tax invoice.)

Footnotes
    [1]
    All legislative references in this Ruling are to the GST Act unless otherwise stated.