Please remove the Estimates & Invoices character limit

motoramblermotorambler Member Posts: 53 ✭✭

We're having constant difficulty with our Invoices and Estimates as seen below. This forces us to take a single product and spread it over multiple 'products' in order to include all the pertinent details, resulting in very unprofessional looking Estimates and Invoices.

Please fix this.

We've temporarily moved to Zoho for our Invoicing & Estimates (Quotes) and using Wave strictly for transaction reconciliations & reports until this gets resolved

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @motorambler,

Thanks for your feedback. Can you share an example of one of those line item descriptions? It'll give us a better idea of your needs and the circumstances behind them.

What field do you work in? Is this an issue that comes up often in your day-to-day? What kind of information do you usually add to the description field of your items?

• motoramblermotorambler Member Posts: 53 ✭✭

We sell machinery. We have no issues using Zoho's quote & invoice templates. Below is an example of a typical single item:

New surplus 1150kW generator package with dual voltage capability (480V or 600V). Unit can run on either natural gas or propane:

• Engine Model: 7044GSI, EPA Certified, 1200 rpm, continuous duty w/engine driven radiator assembly
    • Kato Alternator, 1200KW, 6P6-3300, 6 Poles, 2 Bearing, 1200 rpm, 80 Deg C temp. rise, PMG, 600/480V dual Voltage, 0.8 PF, Renold coupling
    • Waukesha Engine ECU & Auxiliary I/O Box
    • Deep Sea 8610 Engine controller, start/stop/shutdown, sync, island, load share (other Deep Sea controllers) & utility parallel (adj. base load) modes of operation
    • 50 gallon oil make-up system with level indication
    • Inlet gas train with regulator, manual shutoff valve and solenoid, piped to outside of enclosure
    • 3-way exhaust catalyst and industrial exhaust silencer with heat blanket and exhaust flexible connection, exhaust stack w/extension and rain cap, structural frame to support catalyst and silencer
    • Engine skid recessed-mounted into working skid
    • Non-slip diamond plate floor
    • Base frame designed to accommodate drop over, weather resistant enclosure, lift-off frame, for (6) - point rig on/lift off from base/platform
    • Removable lifting eyes
    • Bolt-on connection to platform/base
    • (2) single access doors
    • (1) double access door
    • Spill Containment for engine coolant & oil, Incorporated into working platform
    • Main circuit breaker, front access only through double doors on alternator end of genset, NEMA 3R rated, 2000AF insulated case circuit breaker, fixed mounted, 600/480VAC NEMA 3R, 65k AIC, UL891, LSIG trip, neutral sensor, 24VDC shunt trip, Form ‘C’ aux contacts, copper ground bus, metering CT’s and PT’s, open & close control by Deep Sea 8610 controller
    • Cable connection, 600/480V, 2000A – alternator output to main breaker, protected in steel wire way
    • Exterior cable connection, copper bus with NEMA pads/holes designed to accept customer cables and lugs, designed for cable entry from ground level, at side of enclosure near double doors
    • 480V to 120/208V transformer
    • 100A load center
    • Interior lighting, receptacles, and cable tray, convenience receptacles – GFCI, (1) double socket each side of gen container, (1) near breaker/control cabinet
    • DC emergency lighting each side of container, above access/escape doors with timer
    • Exterior lighting – (2) elevated lights to maintain light at ground level, pre-wired and installed but shipped loose
    • Light switches with weatherproof covers
    • Flush mount emergency stop with break glass NEMA 3R, shipped with extra contact blocks
    • SENS battery charger,  battery box with spill containment

This item is ready to ship.

Hi @Alexia , here's a typical single line item:

1150kW Natural Gas Dual Voltage Generator:

• Engine Model: 7044GSI, EPA Certified, 1200 rpm, continuous duty w/engine driven radiator assembly
    • Kato Alternator, 1200KW, 6P6-3300, 6 Poles, 2 Bearing, 1200 rpm, 80 Deg C temp. rise, PMG, 600/480V dual Voltage, 0.8 PF, Renold coupling
    • Waukesha Engine ECU & Auxiliary I/O Box
    • Deep Sea 8610 Engine controller, start/stop/shutdown, sync, island, load share (other Deep Sea controllers) & utility parallel (adj. base load) modes of operation
    • 50 gallon oil make-up system with level indication
    • Inlet gas train with regulator, manual shutoff valve and solenoid, piped to outside of enclosure
    • 3-way exhaust catalyst and industrial exhaust silencer with heat blanket and exhaust flexible connection, exhaust stack w/extension and rain cap, structural frame to support catalyst and silencer
    • Engine skid recessed-mounted into working skid
    • Non-slip diamond plate floor
    • Base frame designed to accommodate drop over, weather resistant enclosure, lift-off frame, for (6) - point rig on/lift off from base/platform
    • Removable lifting eyes
    • Bolt-on connection to platform/base
    • (2) single access doors
    • (1) double access door
    • Spill Containment for engine coolant & oil, Incorporated into working platform
    • Main circuit breaker, front access only through double doors on alternator end of genset, NEMA 3R rated, 2000AF insulated case circuit breaker, fixed mounted, 600/480VAC NEMA 3R, 65k AIC, UL891, LSIG trip, neutral sensor, 24VDC shunt trip, Form ‘C’ aux contacts, copper ground bus, metering CT’s and PT’s, open & close control by Deep Sea 8610 controller
    • Cable connection, 600/480V, 2000A – alternator output to main breaker, protected in steel wire way
    • Exterior cable connection, copper bus with NEMA pads/holes designed to accept customer cables and lugs, designed for cable entry from ground level, at side of enclosure near double doors
    • 480V to 120/208V transformer
    • 100A load center
    • Interior lighting, receptacles, and cable tray, convenience receptacles – GFCI, (1) double socket each side of gen container, (1) near breaker/control cabinet
    • DC emergency lighting each side of container, above access/escape doors with timer
    • Exterior lighting – (2) elevated lights to maintain light at ground level, pre-wired and installed but shipped loose
    • Light switches with weatherproof covers
    • Flush mount emergency stop with break glass NEMA 3R, shipped with extra contact blocks
    • SENS battery charger, battery box with spill containment
    edited September 6, 2018

Hi, @motorambler,

Does all of this information need to appear on the Estimate itself? Our invoice models aren't really designed for descriptions this extensive and I feel like they wouldn't look their best even if it would all fit in a single field. Which is not to say that your feedback isn't valid. You know your needs best after all, but I'd love more information.

Does this information need to appear on the estimate itself, or would being able to attach an external document to your estimates or invoices be a good alternative? This would allow you accompany your estimates with a detailed breakdown of that line item's features with a document of your own creation while keeping your actual estimate clean.

Hi @Alexia , thx for the continued help. Yes, all information is on our estimates. Using external documents is strictly out of the question because it would break the uniformity of our proposals.

Our quotes look great using the Zoho CRM trial, and we've just added Zoho Books to our trial (with Zoho CRM) for further testing.

What we have noticed is that there is a lot of wasted 'white space' in Wave's Estimates & Invoice templates. We we're hoping this could be changed along with the removal of the character limit otherwise we'll have to consider other options because we simply can't continue using Zoho for half of our workflow & Wave for the other half. Our Wave Estimates & Invoices look too discombobulated & unprofessional to give to customers.

Thanks for following up, @motorambler.

I can't make any promises, but I'll pass your feedback about our invoice models on to our product team. Comments from our users do have a significant impact on how we choose what to build next for Wave, so thank you for taking the time to share yours.

Hi @Alexia, your last comment is simply a deflection or non-answer. That won't fly. We've provided you with a legitimate issue, and expect to know whether it will be fixed or not so we can make a decision & get on with our business. I can't just tell my staff "...no promises, but the Wave product team might look at this someday". Please advise.

Hi, @motorambler,

I understand your frustration and I see that this is a serious issue for your business, but my role here in the Community and at Wave is to provide customer support, I'm not directly involved in decision-making when it comes to new features or updates in Wave. I am, however, always happy to collect feedback and comments from our users and make sure it's sent to the right team.

If this is something your business requires immediately, then we won't be able to provide this option within your the timeframe you require. If it can wait, know that your comments will be seen by our developers and designers, who will take it into account when making decisions concerning updates to invoices or estimates.

Again, I know it's a frustrating answer to receive, but I'd rather be transparent with you than not. I am here to help and I intend to make sure the right people hear you out on this side, but that's all I can offer, myself.

• AffordableFixAffordableFix Member Posts: 13

I second this, and yes, detail is important. This is from a recent estimate I did in wave. My clients require the details. Having it broken up like it is can be confusing and looks unprofessional. What is the point of the limit anyway?