Can one customer have multiple contacts?

HandymanHeadleeHandymanHeadlee Member Posts: 45

We have customers with multiple projects, and each project has a different contact. Is there a way for a single customer/company to have multiple contacts, so each invoice can be sent to the right person? I haven't been able to find a way to do this, so currently we're setting up each contact from the company as a different customer, which isn't ideal. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• RRTSRRTS Member Posts: 19

If your invoices need to go to different payees, then each payee should be its own customer. For consistency, you can leave the "CustomerCompany Name" field the same for each payee - there's no restriction in Wave that that fields needs to be unique.

Cheers

edited September 10, 2018
  • HandymanHeadleeHandymanHeadlee Member Posts: 45

Thanks for your comment! That's what we're currently doing, but ideally we'd like all of these contacts to be listed as one customer with different contacts/jobs for statement and reporting purposes. I think I saw somewhere that this may be coming to Wave in the future, but wondered if maybe I was missing a way to do this now. Thanks again for your help.

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @HandymanHeadlee,

@RRTS is right, each contact in your customer list requires their own entry. Following @RRTS' suggestion is currently the best way to handle this.

Could you tell me a bit more about what insight your needs when it comes to statements and reporting? Maybe I could offer an alternative.

• HandymanHeadleeHandymanHeadlee Member Posts: 45

Hi @Alexia,

As you might guess from my username, we do handyman work. Some of our customers are individuals, and some are property management companies. The property management customers are where this becomes an issue. Example: Smith Management hires us to do handyman work on five different properties. Each property has an individual manager who manages the invoices and project details for that property. Rather than treating each of these contacts/properties as a standalone customer, we would prefer to track the income for all these projects together under the umbrella of the property management company. That would allow us to send the property management company a single statement covering all projects, and additionally it's more helpful for us to see that we did $10,000 of business with Smith Management vs. $2,000 with five different property managers. This could also be handled by having multiple jobs (properties) with one customer (the property management company), assuming each job can have its own contact. Am I correct that this is a feature Wave is currently looking into? Thanks for your help!

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much for this information, @HandymanHeadlee! It's incredibly helpful.

I can't speak as to whether or not it's something we're actively considering, but I can tell you that user feedback has a significant impact on what we choose to build next and that we are listening. This is far from being the first discussion on the subject, as well. With that said, I'm not in a position to confirm anything at this time.

• SeeThreeCreativeSeeThreeCreative Member Posts: 2

I'm really surprised this feature hasn't been implemented yet. I work for multiple production companies that have numerous project managers at each one. I'm in the process of moving back to Wave from Quickbooks after four years and was excited to see all of the new developments but this seems like such a basic function of how I operate now that I'm pretty disappointed to see this wasn't among the improvements.

For both ease and speed of invoicing on the daily and for quarterly customer reviews, this extremely helpful.

Please, please, please bump this feature up the list!

edited February 26, 2020
  • SeeThreeCreativeSeeThreeCreative Member Posts: 2

Any news on this feature?