Options

Send Payment Confirmation/Receipts Automatically?

megeankmegeank Member Posts: 2

Is there an option to email customers a payment confirmation or receipt automatically?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @megeank,

No, there isn't a way to automate that process in Wave currently. Receipts have to be sent manually. Your clients do still have access to their invoices after a payment was recorded, and they'll be able to see the payment there.

I do understand why you would want to automate this process, however. I can't promise a timeline or guarantee that this feature will be added to Wave, but feedback from our users has a significant impact on what we choose to build next. Thank you for taking the time to provide yours.

• Options
    deyamiraphotographydeyamiraphotography Member Posts: 4

Please for the love of god make this a thing! When I'm sending out 15-20+ invoices a week and I have customers asking where the payment confirmation is, it becomes a major task.

Edit: Also I love what you guys are doing and do not want to sound demanding by any means!

edited December 13, 2018
  • Options
    ericksonstudioericksonstudio Member Posts: 3

Yes, please make automatic receipts a thing!

• Options

I love Wave! What would really streamline our accounting is automatic receipts. How is this not already a thing? Thanks!

• Options
    ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@deyamiraphotography @ericksonstudio Thanks for weighing in with this feature idea, guys! <3
    While automatic receipt sending is not a feature in Wave at the moment, I have brought it up to the team!

In the meantime, your customers can access a receipt for a paid invoice on their end. Once an invoice has been paid, they can go back to the original invoice email and select 'View Invoice'. From there, they can select 'Receipts' and they will be directed to a record of their payment.

I totally get that a separate, automatically sent receipt email would be nice though so thanks for sharing the value that would have for you! What would be your ideal workflow? After you create an invoice, have an 'Automatically send receipt' pop-up?

edited September 20, 2019
  • Options

@ChelseaK said:
    What would be your ideal workflow? After you create an invoice, have an 'Automatically send receipt' pop-up?

Modded screenshot attached because that's what I do! :smile:

I didn't see anywhere else where a global default could be an option. Now that I think about it, maybe it could be an option on the customer's profile? That way if I have a customer that prefers receipts it will always default to "checked" on the invoice screen for him, and not for customers that don't want a receipt. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Thanks much,
    Paul

• Options
    megeankmegeank Member Posts: 2
    I agree that having the option to turn automatic receipts on/off is ideal. I also think (possibly at the invoice level) it’d be great to edit the automated receipt. Thanks for considering!
  • Options
    millerhandcmillerhandc Member Posts: 2

I agree. Please add an auto-send receipt option. This is too time consuming.

Better yet, please add a way for customers to pay the full amount when viewing a Customer Statement, and send a single, itemized receipt for that.

I know you guys are working hard on making this a great accounting system, and this would be a huge benefit both for us and for our customers.

Remember, as small (or any sized) business owners, it's our job to make our customers' lives as easy as possible. Sending my customers 100 separate receipts to file does not make their lives easier.

• Options
    theactorsroomtheactorsroom Member Posts: 7

@ericksonstudio said:

@ChelseaK said:
    What would be your ideal workflow? After you create an invoice, have an 'Automatically send receipt' pop-up?

Modded screenshot attached because that's what I do! :smile:

I didn't see anywhere else where a global default could be an option. Now that I think about it, maybe it could be an option on the customer's profile? That way if I have a customer that prefers receipts it will always default to "checked" on the invoice screen for him, and not for customers that don't want a receipt. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Thanks much,
    Paul!

Nicely done! That would be FANTASTIC.

Also, when you said, "...if I have a customer that prefers receipts..." it made me think...next-level automation would allow us to check off "Default: Send Receipts" or something in the customer's profile.

Further, it would be even more amazing to be able to switch your default setting over ALL new invoices/recurring invoices/checkouts to "Send receipts? Yes Please."

I would like to point out, however, that it would be necessary to have the option to uncheck "Send Receipt" when you are recording a manual payment. When you go to do a write-off, for instance on an uncollectible debt, a partial refund, a full refund, etc., you have to do it through recording a manual payment to your invoices-written-off "account." You wouldn't want to be sending receipts saying, "Thanks for your payment!" to customers who you've just issued a refund to, or who you secretly hope will still pay you for debts you're deeming uncollectible!

edited April 23, 2020
  • Options
    QaisEQaisE Member Posts: 72 admin

Hi @ericksonstudio! Thanks for explaining your feature request as well as showing how it could look in Wave - that is truly amazing! And thank you @megeank, @millerhandc, and @theactorsroom for providing a +1 to the idea of having an option to turn on automatic receipts for invoices/customers. As you have all pointed out, Wave does not currently offer this feature within this version of our app.

However, we're always looking for feedback from our customers on how we can improve our software with every update we make. We appreciate you reaching out about this and you should know that our developers are always parsing through our Community looking for feature updates requested by our users.

• Options
    LorrieLorrie Member Posts: 1

I just wanted to chime in to confirm this is a necessary feature. The ability to automate anything is such a timesaver. I spent 30. minutes this morning trying to figure out whether this was a thing. I want to treat my clients professionally and save time for them as well. No one should have to spend time returning anywhere to look for a receipt. Every minute saved is valuable, not just to me, but to my client.

P.S. I LOVE WAVE and my clients are asking about WaveApps too!

edited April 30, 2020
  • Options
    QaisEQaisE Member Posts: 72 admin

Hi @Lorrie, thanks for your feedback! We love to hear about how adding certain features would benefit business, so you are insight is much appreciated. We are always trying to improve our automation and processes in Wave, and know that our developers are always scanning the Community to gather intel on what features are most requested.

Lastly, thanks for the love! I am genuinely happy to hear that you continue to show support for us to your clients - hopefully we can continue to provide the services that make you love Wave!

• Options
    ductilestudiosductilestudios Member Posts: 2

Hi, just wanted to chime in as one more that would really like the ability to have receipts auto send on payment. Agree that the invoice level would be suffice, but a global default would definitely be appreciated as well.

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @ductilestudios @Lorrie

Technically speaking Wave does automatically attach an invoice receipt when it is paid.

When you mark your invoice as paid, or pay through Wave Payments, they are able to open the invoice that was send and should be able to view the "receipts" section which will show them a paid status receipt.

Hope this helps with your question feature request. Let me know if you need further clarification.

• Options
    JNovice007JNovice007 Member Posts: 8

@Barsin
    This explains why only some of our customers ask for receipts. apparently the more tech savvy figure out this feature, and the others call.

While this is a great feature, I agree with the others that an automatic receipt email would be a nice feature.

Thanks Wave! you're awesome.

• Options
    kennyt15kennyt15 Member Posts: 1

Yes -- This, please!!! I always get customers asking if the payment went through...Automatic receipts would be a godsend!!

• Options
    FoundationPrintingFoundationPrinting Member Posts: 4

I'm very much hoping this becomes a thing in the near future. I've had more than a few customers upset that they didn't get a receipt after making payment because it was over a weekend and they figured it would be automatically generated and sent to them.

• Options
    LDLLCLDLLC Member Posts: 1
    Are we really still discussing this over two years later? Seriously?? Receipts being automatically sent is a beyond necessary feature. The fact that this is still broken is just amazing.

You guys seem to understand the importance of receipts: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208622096-Overview-of-receipts

Lots of over the top awesome options for the business owner, but on the client side the receipt is tucked away and hidden somewhere that's easy to miss unless they have good attention to detail. Doesn't make much sense at all does it.
  • Options
    GoneSailingGoneSailing Member Posts: 1
    Appears so. The simplest of asks is just to trigger the existing Send Receipt button?

Adding the checkbox to the UI and database ought to be doable in a day's time. And then just a couple lines of code in the submit payment workflow with appropriate unit tests?

SubmitPayment()
    if(isAutomaticReceiptUponPaymentChecked)
    ClickSendReceiptButton();
    edited January 17, 2021
  • Options
    JTCakesJTCakes Member Posts: 1

PLEASE! Please tell me this is something you are working on. It seems needed, and simple.

• Options
    MindfullSolutionsMindfullSolutions Member Posts: 5

Yesterday, a client accused me of scamming him because he didn't receive a receipt when he submitted payment.

It's baffling that this isn't automated yet.

• Options
    scottyBscottyB Member Posts: 3

Are automatic receipts ever going to be a thing at Wave? Need to know before I fully commit.

• Options
    JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone!

Thanks for expressing your interest in our Invoice receipts feature. At this time, when your customer pays an invoice, the receipt isn't automatically sent to them but they can generate a receipt on their end by pressing the "Receipts" button via the original invoice they received like Barsin mentioned above.

I attached another screenshot below for reference:

I understand how an automated receipt functionality can improve the Invoicing experience for both you and your customers. However, for full transparency, we don't currently have plans on our product roadmap to build out this feature. There is no ETA available on when or if it will be implemented. With that being said, we are not dismissing your feedback as our product and development teams revisit feature ideas frequently. Sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

• Options
    MindfullSolutionsMindfullSolutions Member Posts: 5

@JulianP - can you explain WHY this isn't going to be implemented? For recurring invoices, we have the option to enable sending receipts automatically. It's beautiful. Why is this not an option for one-time invoices since the functionality is already there?

• Options
    JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @MindfullSolutions !

When we plan out the features we're building next, a significant factor we pay attention to is customer feedback. But there's actually a lot more that goes into our product planning, too, and we wanted to give you a better understanding of the decision making that happens at Wave HQ:

Our product managers and customer success heroes are constantly in touch with customers, accountants and bookkeepers, gathering insights into how they use Wave and what they want to see next. We capture it all.

Naturally, a feature that has the potential to revolutionize the way you run your business, or that affects many customers, will get more attention. Also, some features are easier to build than others. If a feature idea will take a lot of time to build, we need to make sure it drives extra value for our customers.

Sometimes a feature looks easy, but it has underlying requirements that are difficult, or an infrastructure that doesn't exist. Wave's system handles billions of data packages every week, and we want everything to flow smoothly. Sometimes, it's the architecture that supports a feature, and not the feature itself, that requires the most engineering. We look at whether the work that goes into a feature can be bundled up with other work. Sometimes a feature with fewer requests will get worked on early because we're already making changes to a related part of the machinery, and it makes sense to address several issues while we're in there.

There are more factors, too, like competitive considerations, advances in technology, changes to regulatory constraints and so on.

All of this goes into the decision-making process for new features. At the end of it all, our goal is nothing less than delivering the very best tools for running your business. I hope this helps provide some insight.

• Options
    ARCEJonARCEJon Member Posts: 5

I'm adding a +1 to this because this seem so archaic to not have this.

You guys are like top tier of online invoicing in almost every other aspect, but you really shouldn't keep pushing this years and years down the pipeline.

• Options
    italianschoolsditalianschoolsd Member Posts: 1

Wave please implement this!

• Options
    TransparentMasteringTransparentMastering Member Posts: 1
    :s this is basic functionality. Please add, thank you.

Not even sure why there’s a section to add new features when features this obvious should have been added for the alpha release.

Like in the very first meeting about invoicing, when receipts come up, the very first thing I would think of is…getting the dang receipt TO the customer.

Otherwise, like everyone says, thank you for the excellent service!
  • Options
    Miss_Dori_TutoringMiss_Dori_Tutoring Member Posts: 10

@ChelseaK said:
    While automatic receipt sending is not a feature in Wave at the moment, I have brought it up to the team!

Is there any update on this? Automated receipts would be awesome, as would the option to edit the default message. Are either of these in the work?

Thanks!

• Options
    CZComputerCZComputer Member Posts: 2
    Here's another Human wishing for this basic feature 🙂!