Merged transaction deletes tax

ConnieConnie Member Posts: 5

I am using the old interface so forgive me is this will be changed when the new interface arrives but here's a serious problem I have JUST NOW discovered: When I uploaded receipts and verified them, I added the tax (GST) on the receipt record. Then I merged the receipt record to the bank automatic download record. It appears that the record that is maintained is the download one and so the tax amount has been deleted. This means that ALL my receipted expenses did not track the GST amounts up til now. I did not catch this last year so my tax amounts are all wrong. :( Other than reviewing every single transaction and recalculating the tax amount and reentering on the transaction page, is there any way around this??? My bad for not catching this sooner but we've now lost hundreds of dollars of recoverable tax money because the merged transaction removed the tax amount. Please advise

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @Connie,

I'm really sorry to hear that. It seems like a stressful and frustrating situation. I know it's little comfort, but I can confirm that the Merge feature is the new version is much smarter than the one in the version you're currently using, so this isn't an issue you'll have to keep in mind for much longer. While this might be good news, it doesn't solve your current problem. Unfortunately, you will have to review your past transactions to correct errors manually.

With that said, I can help you prevent this in the future. The transaction created as a result of a merging in the old version of Wave takes on the properties of the oldest of the two transactions (the lowest one on the Transactions table). If the lowest transaction isn't attached to a tax, then the new transaction won't have a tax either. The best way to prevent this is to make sure that the lowest transaction is attached to a tax when merging.

You can also simply delete the transaction from your bank connection instead of merging the two transactions. It might be a little faster than merging those transactions.

I hope this helps.

edited September 21, 2018