Options

Print accounts payable checks from Wave Accounting

Comments

• Options
    redbaron78redbaron78 Member Posts: 1

Just chiming in to agree with other people who have posted here about the lack of Wave's ability to print checks. It's rather mystifying. I tried Wave for the first time last year and reverted to QuickBooks over this. I came back today hoping it had been resolved.

And Alexia, it strikes me as impolite to ask people about their businesses. All you need to know is that, for some of us, there's a gaping hole in your product that, as others have mentioned, seems so obvious we can't figure out why it hasn't been plugged.

• Options
    lillynwilsonlillynwilson Member Posts: 1

Yeah, I totally was onboard with Wave and started to import my bank account, etc but will have to find a different service because of the no check printing. We are a church and we use checks to pay for many of our bills.

• Options
    techgonecoastaltechgonecoastal Member Posts: 1

@redbaron78 said:
    Just chiming in to agree with other people who have posted here about the lack of Wave's ability to print checks. It's rather mystifying. I tried Wave for the first time last year and reverted to QuickBooks over this. I came back today hoping it had been resolved.

And Alexia, it strikes me as impolite to ask people about their businesses. All you need to know is that, for some of us, there's a gaping hole in your product that, as others have mentioned, seems so obvious we can't figure out why it hasn't been plugged.

Seriously. As much as I'm on-board with check writing being an antiquated process, my landlord only takes checks for rent for my office. There are other businesses who only take checks as well. Now I'm stuck ordering cashier's checks just to have something to give them.

• Options
    clindahlclindahl Member Posts: 1

Yes Need the availability to print checks to vendors and others.

• Options
    tmltml Member Posts: 1

Please add this feature. Your platform is great, but handwriting checks over and over simply isn't a good option.

Thank you!

• Options
    rocketmanrocketman Member Posts: 1

I gotta say that I was thrilled to find Wave and equally disappointed to learn I can't print a check to pay bills. Who has time to account in this software and print checks in another? Guess it's back to QB's

• Options
    SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

@rocketman (and all those who have posted in this Topic) I'm sorry this functionality isn't already available in Wave! I will submit a feature request for check printing in app, it would certainly save a lot of time in this regard. Because Wave as a product is highly digital and cloud-based, a lot of the functionality was generated with digital payments, such as e-transfers, e-checks, and credit card payments in mind.

• Options
    micbusinessmicbusiness Member Posts: 1

@rocketman & @Alexia

Your effort to push for a paperless world is admirable but I believe you guys are either downplaying the importance of using cheques based on an internal decision you do not want to disclose or you simply do not understand business which would be a bit scary. There are many reasons to use cheques, you should not need a specific use case to understand the demand. But if there is one thing that is an absolute, undeniable reason to integrate cheque printing would be this:

PAPER TRAIL!

Until the CRA/IRS loses their ability to audit any business without notice and ruin your life, there will always be a strong demand for a PAPER TRAIL!

E-Transfers do not provide this, a single line on a bank statement indicating money out of your (here's another clue) Chequing account is not nearly enough information about that transaction. It does not show the receiver, it does not provide context about the transaction. It does not show tax info. These are just some examples, im sure there are many more. But in the end, bookkeeping is mostly related to paying taxes and the taxman wants a **PAPER TRAIL! ** Printed cheques provide stubs that record those transaction details.

Don't take it personally, just do it.

• Options
    SticksSticks Member Posts: 2

+1 for this feature. Can't imagine it's that difficult to implement and yes, it is both expected and required.

• Options
    ChaseChase Member Posts: 2

@rocketman & @Alexia

Without being too course, how hard can this be to implement, considering that you already have a quasi check writing program that is being used for Wave Payroll? Currently, I have been double entering in both Quickbooks and Wave, but for FY19, I am considering abandoning Wave and migrating back fully to Quickbooks or to Zoho. On the importance of features, check writing would be a 10/10 for me, more necessary than many of the other features Wave offers. I would strongly encourage at least the announcement with an expected timeline of completion to your members, prior to the new year, as that's usually when its easiest to switch accounting platforms.

Thanks,
    Chase

• Options
    Waveuser1Waveuser1 Member Posts: 3

@Alexia @Rahim

As stated by everyone else, I require check printing because nearly all my vendors and contractors require checks. Furthermore, it would be counter intuitive to record checks on WAVE and print them somewhere else?

Can you share, please, why you are opposed to adding check printing? And would seemingly prefer to re invent the wheel?

• Options
    Michael_LMichael_L Member Posts: 11

@Alexia, in my case the most important vendors that only accepts cheques are my two landlords (for two locations). They won't accept anything but cheques, I assume because of the built-in paper trail. I have several other vendors who we currently pay with cheques that I might be able to send e-transfers, but up until I tried Wave there was no reason to; cheques are still a fundamental payment method for businesses even though it is dying out in personal transactions.

• Options
    ChandlerRogersChandlerRogers Member Posts: 1

Echoing the sentiments already made: I'm very disappointed that this feature is not present. I can understand the reasoning of the product development team in pushing paperless (it is 2019 after-all), there are just things that can't be done in my business without a check.

I've just gotten done setting up Wave for the new year as I'm moving from a very outdated quickbooks desktop (running on Windows XP). My current plan is to tediously enter my payments in Wave and then print the checks using my outdated quickbooks desktop. I'm really hoping for the addition of check writing/printing (sooner rather than later) within Wave to prevent this tedious double entry.

Other than this, my limited experience with Wave has been excellent thus far.

• Options
    Waveuser1Waveuser1 Member Posts: 3

@Alexia

Can we expect any progress on this or should we search for new software?

• Options
    Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @Waveuser1, at this time there's nothing to announce, unfortunately.

• Options
    SageXSageX Member Posts: 1

Wow! I was really loving Wave, but I need to be able to print checks. Not going to use two accounting systems.

• Options
    WavefarmerWavefarmer Member Posts: 2

I can't believe how hard it is to find a accounting program that does check printing. I, like many others, still write checks to pay my bills. I could care less about invoicing. I rarely invoice. But entering all checks 2x. Once in QB to print and then in Wave. Seems silly. I agree with most- how could you create accounting software that gives no option to print a check??? Pretty basic.

• Options
    phamhoangphuphamhoangphu Member Posts: 1

I think it's time to stop for waiting for checks in the mail
    Check By Phone, Check By Fax, Check by Internet.

i recommend you Check Printing Online. Check Printing Online is reliable and effective its saves a lot of time and it is very much flexible to use. Online Check Writer is Cloud-Based business software that will help businesses/individuals to manage their accounts payable. The main feature of OnlineCheckWriter is to allow a business or individuals to print its own checks on any printer at Home of Office.
    Check Printing Online

edited March 20, 2019
  • Options
    lwheelerlwheeler Member Posts: 1

i just spend minutes trying to figure out how to print a check. my horror after i have encouraged everyone to switch. are we going to have to go back to qb. are you kidding me that we cannot print a check.

• Options
    wvmommawvmomma Member Posts: 4

I'm feeling the same level of shock. First no credit memos, now can't print checks...

• Options
    wvogelwvogel Member Posts: 1

Has anyone tried www.sparcpay.com to do supplier payments? They offer both an EFT and cheque-printing service that is easy and cost-effective so that your business can stay paperless while paying suppliers however they prefer.

edited April 25, 2019
  • Options
    Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts in this thread over the past year.

We don’t have any current announcements to make regarding check printing at this time, although we understand how much of a game changer this would be for you and your respective businesses. Wave was initially designed with a heavier focus on the sales side of things, which means that there’s still a lot of room for improvement with our purchase tools. We’re aware of this, and our Product and Integration teams are exploring options for integrating with third-party online check printing services.

Keep an eye on this thread for future updates!

• Options
    LA_WomanLA_Woman Member Posts: 1

Well, darn! I just signed up for Wave only to find out we cannot generate checks the same way we can with Quickbooks. I see one of the admins was asking what we need checks for. In our business, we file multiple local tax returns for our clients and many of those jurisdictions do not accept electronic payments yet so we have to generate at least one hundred checks a month. They have to be mailed with the physical tax returns so online bill pay is not an option either. It's easy to do with Quickbooks. I was hoping to switch to Wave given some of the other features it offers but cannot do so until/unless printing checks becomes an option. Very disappointing.

I hope your team looks into adding this very basic feature soon. It seems that it would not be a difficult integration given that you already offer it for your payroll product.

• Options
    jonkwilliamsjonkwilliams Member Posts: 4

I can't believe the absurdity of this. It's as if I asked Ford Motor Company how to actually steer my new Focus. "I'm not finding a steering wheel. Where should I be looking for it?" Response: "We don't currently support steering our vehicles. Is it absolutely necessary? Would it work to simply wish you were where you hoped to be? Could you perhaps only go to places that are directly in front of you?" It shouldn't matter to Waveapps why or how often I need to print checks rather than pay bills bank to bank. How difficult would it be to integrate check printing and how long would it actually take one smart coder?

• Options
    logicalproslogicalpros Member Posts: 1

Well, here we are in June 2019 and I can see from the customer posts and Wave support replies that check writing still isn't available nor looks like it will ever be available in Wave. It is unfathomable to me that an accounting system like Wave lacks the ability to print a check. Some vendors prefer to be paid by check versus credit card or ACH to avoid the fees associated with those payment methods. Why do you think QuickBooks easily allows you to print a check? Because it is still needed in 2019!

Unfortunately, this is a deal killer for my company to use Wave as I don't want the hassle of finding a 3rd party type integration that allows me to write checks when QuickBooks, Sage 50, etc. already allow for this feature. Come on Wave... people still need this functionality.

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thanks for the additional comments. Just wanted to touch base again and mention that as a cloud based accounting and payment software, our current model still does not have the ability to print cheques. We operate on a completely digital platform using only our two payment methods (Credit Card and ACH). We appreciate everyone reaching out and will always keep you updated with our latest developments.

• Options
    JustinRockwellJustinRockwell Member Posts: 1

As an option you can always do online check printing using Checkeeper. There isn't an integration yet with Wave (their API is way behind) but creating checks takes only a few seconds and is free (just keep creating a free trial at https://checkeeper.com)

edited July 9, 2019
  • Options
    RobBoss_1RobBoss_1 Member Posts: 0

Is there a function/ability is Wave to pay your vendors by printing checks?

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @RobBoss_1 . I moved your thread into this one as it's about the same thing. This is not currently available but feel free to take a look through the article for some workarounds and to get a better idea of where we're at with it.