Uploading Excel File --> CSV to Transactions

Marcus_1979Marcus_1979 Member Posts: 5

Hi Wave and other users!

We've been using excel to log in our expenses before we shifted to Wave.

We would like to upload our transaction on Excel by converting the file to a CSV and then uploading it to Wave. I have followed all of the instructions listed in the guide provided by Wave: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208622596

However, despite having a column for Date, Amount, and Description, Wave will not accept my file.

Would like to know if this is a recurring glitch or a paid feature, or if there is a possibility I may have missed a small detail.

Hopefully this thread can help other users in the future!

Thanks!

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @Marcus_1979,

Can you show us a screenshot of that spreadsheet? It might give us a better idea of what's going wrong. Make sure to obfuscate any personal information on that screenshot before you share it here.

Excel can cause some issues on occasion as it can sometimes create invisible special characters that will stop the upload process. The easiest way to get rid of those is to upload your file to Google Sheets, and export it as a CSV from there. Google Sheets clears those automatically.

• BillGBillG Member Posts: 1
    Never thought I’d hear google spreadsheet bring superior to Microsoft Excel.
    Is this correct?
    Bill
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @BillG

I'm not sure that is correct. The issue that Alexia previously mentioned is that when you open up a CSV in Excel, it tries to preserve some "invisible characters" or may sometimes "right or center justify" your text in columns. When that happens our CSV uploader can run into some issues. However Google's spreadsheet is a bit simpler and may force these characters or centering of your text to be reset to a standard document which may be simpler to upload.

Hope this clarifies your question!