Options

Receipt Details

nickman55nickman55 Member Posts: 3

Hello,

Is there a way to export the details of receipts entered in addition to the images of the receipts? When I go to Data Export and choose receipts, it only includes images of each of my receipts, but none of the details such as Notes.

Additionally, I see that when a receipt is uploaded, a transaction is created that is linked to the receipt. However, the Notes from the receipt are not copied to the transaction. Am I doing something to cause this, or is it intended to work this way?

Thanks!
Nick

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    TylerKTylerK Member Posts: 94 admin

Hey @nickman55! Receipt notes won't carry over to your Transactions page but will live in on the Receipts page.

When it comes to the Receipt Export that will only include the images of each receipt. A Data Export (the other option on the Export page) will offer a transactions.csv that will include the raw data but won't explicitly link the transactions to the receipt.

So I can most effectively escalate this insight to our Product Team, can you provide me with more detail in terms of how this export will assist your workflow?

• Options

Hi @Tyler. I would imagine that how this will assist with a workflow would be pretty self explanatory, but here we go...

If receipt notes carried over to transactions, it would reduce having to enter the notes twice for every receipt. As it stands now, there appears to be no reason to put in a note on a receipt since those notes can't be exported. However, even if this were to happen, the data export for Transactions also doesn't include the Notes field, so that would be something else that should change.

Similarly, being able to export the actual data saved for the receipt as opposed to just the image would greatly help come year end while preparing for taxes and/or in the event that the IRS decides it's audit time. Right now, if I get audited, I'll have to go into each receipt one-by-one to extract the notes I've put in them so that I could explain what the receipt is for.

• Options
    TylerKTylerK Member Posts: 94 admin

Thanks @nickman55. The transactional carry over part was quite clear to me so I should have specified. The receipt export that Wave offers is strictly a PDF of all the images uploaded. Adding the notes to the export would be helpful but an even better export would combine all data (i.e. one export) and have the line transactions include a link to the receipt image that also contained the notes. Are you finding yourself adding notes for every transaction or just receipt uploads? I am wondering if making categories "smarter" would potentially solve a larger problem if you are adding notes every time.

• Options
    @Tyler I mostly leave notes for the Meals & Entertainment category of receipts as the IRS typically would ask for details regarding those purchases/expenses in the event of an audit.
  • Options
    Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @nickman55

Thanks for clarifying that! Although the data export doesn't support that type of data being transferred, I'm happy to make a note of this feedback for future refinements to the export tool.