Options

How to account for business expenses paid out of personal account?

ProSmartConsultingProSmartConsulting Member Posts: 1

I am new to wave and also to my business. I have incurred some business expenses that i have paid out of my personal funds. Now i have added these individual expenses into wave accounting transactions and associated to a personal account in lieu of my business checking account. Now to balance my books, how do i make an entry to get reimbursed from my business account to the personal account?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    eliteacchkeliteacchk Member Posts: 31

You paid for these company's expenses out of your own pocket so in essence you are lending funds to the company. The best way is to create a temp loan entries (some also refer this as a shareholder's or director's current account, assuming yours is a limited corporation) to lodge the expense but also to mark it as a reimbursement due to you (which is a balance sheet entry), and when the company repays you, the amount will be set off, so the accounting is like this example:

To lodge the expense and to record that it is due to you...
    -- Dr. Entertainment (a PnL item)
    ----- Cr. Director's current account (a balance sheet account)

When the company repays you...
    -- Dr, Director's current account
    ----- Cr. Bank or cash account

But then of course there is a "shortcut" by creating a Journal Entry directly to record the final result:
    -- Dr. Entertainment
    ----- Cr. Bank account (which pays the amount to you)

For instructions on creating the director's current account, please refer to:
    https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/2907/directors-loan-for-limited-company

edited December 8, 2018