Adding categories (marketing)

clanculariusclancularius Member Posts: 6

I would like to break the marketing expenses associated with different income sources into categories and subcategories. What would be the best way to do so?

John

Comments

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @clancularius. I just want to confirm with you here -- are you looking at splitting the Marketing Expense transaction with different income accounts? If so, since it's been labelled as an expense, you will only be able to split the transaction within expense accounts: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208621536-How-to-split-a-transaction -- if you are referring to adding subcategories in general, this is not something that's currently offered in Wave, although, could be available in the future.

• clanculariusclancularius Member Posts: 6

It was the subcategory. Marketing - Passive Income/Marketing - appointments Etc.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @clancularius

Thanks for clearing that up! Unfortunately subcategories aren't built into Wave right now, although I'm happy to pass this feedback along to the right teams! Your best bet for now would be to create multiple custom accounts in the Chart of Accounts page, with the names of each account acting as your sub-filters ie. Account 1: Marketing - Passive Income, Account 2: Marketing - Appointments, etc. I know it's not ideal, although it's worth trying when organizing your books!