Feature Ideas

rbwellrbwell Member Posts: 1

Thank you for this great platform and service. I've been using it for about a week and it's way better than Quickbooks. I do have a few suggestions that I believe many service providers can relate to. I own a business performing home inspections as well as residential and commercial maintenance and repair. The commercial side of my business, I receive work orders from 3rd party maintenance companies, with whom I have a wide range of negotiated rates. As my business grows the varying rates can be complex to remember. For example, I have varying rates for Customer A,B, & C. On every invoice I will have a Trip Charge (varying between Normal, Emergency, After-hours, and Holiday and if it is a handyman job then I have varying rates for all 4 instances) and a labor rate that varies based on the same (Normal, Emergency, etc.) That means that for one customer there are potentially 12 different Products with their own individual rates. I understand the obvious solution would be to make my rates the same across the board with all customers, however I have my pricing set differently so that I have a starting point and can negotiate down for a greater volume.
1. If you could add a feature where when I select a Customer only the Products (and by extension the labor rates) for that customer become available for selection.
2. Also some Products are only needed once and as such, not having the ability to delete or edit these Products or prices is troublesome as prices can and will inevitably change.

Comments

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@rbwell Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I could see how the workflow within Wave would be quite time consuming after hearing about how complex your invoicing needs seem to be. I can't say that the type of functionality that you are looking for would be easy to implement, as currently, products are meant to be used on invoices for any customers and not linked to specific customers only. Additionally, the reason why products cannot be deleted once they are assigned to an invoice is because the reporting relies upon being able to show what was charged on the invoice, and deleting them, would mean that this reporting would no longer be accurate.

It seems as though these types of practices are not used very frequently, however, I am happy to keep my ears to the ground, and if I hear other users requesting a similar type of functionality, I'll be happy to pass this along to our Product Development Team.

• molezwickermolezwicker Member Posts: 2

A way to change an expense category from Operating Expenses to Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) would be greatly helpful. I am not aware of way to do it without deleting and making a new expense category.

• HandymanHeadleeHandymanHeadlee Member Posts: 45

@molezwicker, when viewing the Chart of Accounts under Accounting, each account can be edited by clicking the pencil icon. One of the options when editing is to select the type of account. This may be a new feature, and if so may not yet be available to all users. I suspect it is new because I don't remember being able to do this before, however I've done it several times today as I'm working on year end clean up. Hope this is helpful!

• molezwickermolezwicker Member Posts: 2

I just checked and I am not able to do so.

I appreciate your response and I thank you for keeping me updated on new features.

I am excited they are adding this feature.

• RahimRahim Member Posts: 97 ✭✭

@rbwell

We just introduced a new "Internal notes" field that may help you with some of the complexity you have in billing. While you will still need to add the right products/services to the invoice, you can at least keep track of the customer specific rates/details this way. When creating the invoice, you can go to "edit customer" then view the notes under the "More" tab. With this information, handy in the system, you can create the invoice accordingly.

On your second point, the reason these can't be deleted is because they are tied to your invoices and reports. We are exploring the concept of "archiving" customers and products to help keep your lists up to date and relevant to your needs.

Thanks,

Rahim

• ThaboThabo Member Posts: 2
    It would be great if i had a personalized page with a form where my clients could go and fill in all they're details. The information that they have filled will then be used to create their profile.
  • ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@Thabo That's an interesting idea! Thanks for weighing in here, we appreciate the suggestion. :)

• ThaboThabo Member Posts: 2
    It would also be ideal to add a "cost price" and "selling price" on items. An invoice will only pull the selling price. This will help alot to measure profits and expenses on items or for my business as a whole. Please consider this!
    edited June 30, 2019
  • Liberty5569Liberty5569 Member Posts: 1

This shouldn't just be and idea, it should be an existing part of Wave. To not have cost and selling prices on items makes Wave inferior to most other similar pieces of software.

• AlettaVenter427AlettaVenter427 Member Posts: 3

Hello
    I am new to WAVE and am really impressed. Tx. We invoice different categories of customers with different prices. I don't see an option to have different prices linked to a product/service. Does it exits? If not, is this possible?
    Tx
    Aletta

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @AlettaVenter427. It's currently not possible to have different set prices for your products & services.. but when you add them to the invoice, you can simply just change the line item amount and send the invoice out. You can also add multiple products/services for the same thing and have a different price listed, but that could get messy depending on what you want to use it for.

• sosstaffnz_42sosstaffnz_42 Member Posts: 1
    I am keen to apply one more User catagorie that allows users to produce invoices without being able to view other invoices.
    My business coordinates independent locums and requires that they invoice independently. Therefore a contractor catagorie would be useful.
  • ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @sosstaffnz_42 !

That's a fantastic feature idea. At present, this is not something that's on Wave's roadmap, but I'd absolutely encourage you to check out this Help Center article with regards to permissions. The benefit here is that if you'd like, you can scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the comments currently on this article, many of which echo what you've surfaced here. Throwing your hat in the ring is entirely your call, but it can help to add a short blurb as to how this will contextually help your business succeed!