Car Loan repayments

AjayAjay Member Posts: 2

Not sure how to enter a car loan repayment as the funds were not deposited into my account as described in the "how to account for a loan" section

Comments

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@Ajay I'd love to hear more about what funds are being used to repay the loan if they were not funds deposited into the business account. Is this a loan that are paid from personal funds? Also, is the loan itself in the business name, or your personal name?

• AjayAjay Member Posts: 2

Loan is in business name, funds were paid directly from the lender to the seller never touching any of our accounts and now we make monthly repayments to the lender for the next 5 years, I guess it works the same as a mortgage.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @Ajay,

If you're going to account for this car loan, then I recommend using journal transactions for this. So, let’s say the vehicle is $1000, and the bank covers the full $1000. You’d create a “Vehicle Asset” account and “Vehicle Loan” account in the Chart of Accounts page. You’d then record a journal transaction where you debit the asset for $1000, and credit the loan for $1000. You can create a journal transaction in the Transactions page by clicking the "More" tab.

Did you make a downpayment on the loan? If so, this process would look a little bit different, so don't hesitate to follow up!

• kbcattleranchkbcattleranch Member Posts: 3

Ryan_W I understand everything that you have said in order to set it up but how do you account for making the monthly payment?

• MikegMikeg Member Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

The monthly payment would be Debit loan (liability) Credit Cash (asset). At the end of the year your would expense the interest paid on the loan. To do this you would Debit Interest Expense (Expense) and Credit Loan. That way your loan balance should agree to your remaining principal outstanding . If you have excel, there are templates to run a loan amortization schedule.

• aldermanalderman Member Posts: 1

@Ryan_W Yes, please do follow-up with details on how to set up and account for a Car Loan that involves a downpayment and long term repayments of the loan. Thank you very much!

• Khoi_NKhoi_N Member Posts: 3

@Ryan_W @JordanD Could you please follow up on how to reconcile a car loan with an initial downpayment. thank you.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Khoi_N

This is a really good question to have a CPA look over your transactions and take a look at what this looks like in both your Wave account and your bank.

Have you taken a look at our HOW TO ACCOUNT FOR LOANS article yet? This walks you throw how to set up your chart of accounts as well as keep track of your repayments. Let us know if you have any specific questions after reading this over!