Searching for an invoice

racerracer Member Posts: 6

Is there a way to search for a specific invoice via the order number or any other text in the invoice?
I only have one client that I subscontract to.. and they often ask me to resend an old invoice... Currently I'm having to guess the date and open many invoices before I find the correct one... It would be so simple to just search for the order number or any other specific text that would be on that invoice.. Is this something that can be done already (haven't been able to figure out how) or something that can be implemented?

Comments

• ErikErik Member Posts: 194 admin

Hi @racer, you can definitely use our Invoice Number search field on the Sales>Invoices page to look through your invoice list

• racerracer Member Posts: 6
    That's not what I asked.. If i knew the invoice number I wouldn't need to be searching in the first place... I need to be able to search for an order number (which is on the invoice) or some other text on the invoice....
  • JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hi @racer. As of right now, there isn't a way to search for invoices using an order number that you've attached within the invoice (or other notes/text within the invoice) -- this could be something that is changed in the future (the option to have more filter options) but we currently do not have any plans for the time being. Could you give me a bit more context as to why your client is asking you to resend the invoice? Is it that it gets lost in their emails, etc? Just another tip -- if you hover your mouse over the due date of the invoice, you will also be able to see whether or not your client viewed the invoice.

• racerracer Member Posts: 6

Thanks Jamie.. Its a feature I think would help immensely and hope it makes the feature list at some time..

Clients often ask for copies of invoices for whatever reason.. In my case I subcontract to other companies and they send me out to their customers. I use their customer name in my order number field.. So if one of them calls and asks me to resend invoices for all work done for company ABC for example, it would help if I could just do a search on ABC and get all the relevant invoices without having to look for them manually....

tks...

• mooremoore Member Posts: 1

If we could search invoice content (item details), that would help us find invoices when we don't know the invoice number - or when the invoice number doesn't really matter. There are many times I want to reference previous invoice content, for example: to see how many hours it took me last time to do the same type of project. Ideally, we could search invoices by customer, date, status, invoice number, and/or content (item details). Right now, it takes enough time to guess what an invoice is that I thought I'd leave this feedback.

That said, I do want to acknowledge that your app is very good! I've been using it happily for 6 years and just thought I'd see if this is a feature others would find useful.

Thank you!

• markollidesmarkollides Member Posts: 4

I also came here looking for this feature.
    It would be an INCREDIBLE time-saver to be able to search for words in the description.

• bfillersbfillers Member Posts: 1

I absolutely love Wave, and I don't have many complaints. I would say the lack of this feature is one of the main cons of using it; I loved using this search feature when I used PayPal for invoicing, and I really miss it. Please allow us to search content within the invoice!

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @bfillers . Thanks for reaching out about this and giving us your +1 as it helps us track how many of our users are requesting this feature. If this becomes available in the future, we'll update you on it here. :smile:

• LissLiss Member Posts: 1

Hi there, I absolutely love Wave as well. It has great functionality and customisation, which is ideal for our small company. The only thing would make Wave extra special, like previous comments is to have an option to search for invoices via content. As we maintain so many different properties for different companies, I'm required to look for specific invoices for a certain property. It can take me ages to go through each invoice individually. It would also be great to have an attachment function when sending the invoice, as our customers sometimes like to have the material receipts, but I can live without this if necessary :D lol.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @Liss! Thanks for the detailed explanation on how this would improve your experience with Wave (glad you're already loving it though :smile:) -- we still don't have an exact timeline, or plan to implement this feature in a roadmap any time soon, but once we do, we will be sure to let all of our users know that it's something planned!

• MBiTMBiT Member Posts: 5

Hello Wave
    I have spent the last week demo-ing your great product and I am super excited with the possibility I have found a replacement for my current system. I am being abandoned by FreshBooks after 9 years with their cancelling their "Classic" version and forcing everyone to their "New" version. It is a total disaster and lacks many basic features we have been using for almost a decade. I really like your product but ran into a few items that concern me and this one deal killer that I was hoping to get some clarification on.

Q: Why is there no simple search feature for invoices and estimates so I can locate PRODUCTS, SERVICES or KEYWORDS?

Here are some examples how we use this search feature constantly:

1) to locate a similar invoice/estimate to duplicate for this or another customer. Let's say I want to dupe an estimate or invoice I sent to another client and I do not have the estimate/invoice number that that product or service was related to so I would search for the product, service or keyword and instantly would be able to locate that item and create a new estimate/invoice.

2) to make sure customers have been invoiced for work done, if we cannot easily find the invoice we may either double invoice them for the same service or not invoice them at all. Our technicians make their own invoices so we currently have managers checking their work schedule at the end of the month to be sure no work has been done that did not also become an invoice. Seems silly but we are so busy that we have to do checks and balances and without a search feature I am afraid it will be a huge productivity drain.

3) A customer calls and we need to determine when they were invoiced for a particular ITEM, SERVICE or PRODUCT. The customer may have hundreds of invoices and a simple click search would then not be impossible on Wave. I would literally have to call them back while I click on possibly hundreds of invoices just to find the one I need. There is no way I can see to search invoices based upon ITEM or SERVICE or KEYWORD. This feature would be a huge benefit for time saving, selling more services and productivity.

I am ready to make the switch to Wave, and I have a short window to do it as my current accounting system disappears in approx 60 days. What can be done to get this search feature some serious thought since it appears folks have been asking for it for many years and it is still not implemented?

I feel that this would be a benefit to the entire Wave community and would be a core feature that would not be just a wish list item.

Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to using Wave for my accounting,

MBIT

=====

I posted a comment / suggestion on this similar topic at the bottom of this discussion for those who may want to comment:

Hoping for a WAVE PLUGIN PROGRAM very soon..

Capability to search in invoice
    https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/8037/capability-to-search-in-invoice

Really Love WAVE, thank you!

edited January 10, 2021
  • JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @MBiT !

I'm afraid that this functionality is not currently supported by Wave. For full transparency, this feature idea is not on our product road map at this time. We don't have an ETA on when or if it will be released. With that being said, I want to mention that we are not dismissing your feedback as we often revisit these ideas.

The current search/filter options we offer for invoices and estimates are:

• Customer name
    • Invoice status
    • Date range
    • Invoice number

Thank you for reaching out!

• MBiTMBiT Member Posts: 5

@JulianP said:
    Hey there @MBiT !

I'm afraid that this functionality is not currently supported by Wave. For full transparency, this feature idea is not on our product road map at this time. We don't have an ETA on when or if it will be released. With that being said, I want to mention that we are not dismissing your feedback as we often revisit these ideas.

The current search/filter options we offer for invoices and estimates are:

• Customer name
    • Invoice status
    • Date range
    • Invoice number

Thank you for reaching out!

Thanks for the reply Julian

Those 4 fields are hardly sufficient searching categories for any invoicing platform, I could simply click on the header titles and sort the columns to find that information without searching. What features have been added recently and what are closest to being considered on the product road map so I can get a feel if your development is taking customer needs seriously?

I would be happy to discuss privately but we did a very large amount of credit card sales last year, would love to use your payroll paid feature and could certainly pay for 5hrs of your professional $199 per hr time that you all email me about regularly. I am happy to setup a GoFundMe account to cover some Wave programming fees to get these very necessary missing core features added to Wave accounting. Just let me know what it will take and I am ready to jump ship on your competitor's web based invoicing platform which makes cc fees and charges us $900+ yearly and is now forcing us to use their newly designed disaster of a product.

Hoping some other Wave users still read these discussion boards to have other feedback and donations to your programming fund.

As a side note: I spent a few hours with Zapier making an app that sends Wave invoices to a google spreadsheet. It does not include all info, is very clunky but works.. It seems seriously strange that someone a wave is not able to make searching a reality right inside the product itself. If you have to do anonymously please print out and slip this thread under a door somewhere to someone who can make a difference. I am former computer science and know this is something your people could totally implement in less than a few days and it would pay for itself in TIME SAVED and NEW CUSTOMERS.

THANK YOU!!!
    Go WAVE!!!

edited January 22, 2021