Bulk Categorizing Transfers and Refunds

ramzey_09ramzey_09 Member Posts: 8

Hi everyone, I'm just getting my feet wet with Wave. I love the UI and its simplicity (moving over from Quickbooks)! I had a few questions that I would appreciate your help with:

1. I'd like to know if there's a way to bulk categorize "Transfers".

I'm transferring over deposits from my merchant account to Money In Transit and Wave is recognizing there are other transactions that match this. The only problem is it will not let me select "Transfer from Bank, Credit Card, Or Loan" in the drop down menu. Can anyone help with this? It's a major pain having to manually accepting and categorizing each one.

1. I'm using Zapier to auto-record sales as they come in from Stripe. It's all good as far as deposits but what about in the case of chargebacks or refunds?

How can I properly enter this? If I cannot use the Zapier Wave integration is there a way to do it via Webhooks?

Please advise as these two pieces above can be potential deal breakers as far as moving over to Wave! Thanks :smile:

Comments

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @ramzey_09, at this time there isn't a tool in the Transactions page for bulk categorizing transfers. These will need to be done manually.

I'm actually unsure of how the Zapier integration handles Stripe chargebacks or refunds--purely because I've never seen that specific scenario--although I imagine that it would reflect in Wave just like how Stripe refunds automatically reflect if you're directly handling Stripe payments in Wave. @Erik would you have any firmer sense of how the Zaps communicate for this? ^

• ErikErik Member Posts: 194 admin
    Hey @ramzey_09 ! Glad you are liking your experience so far!

At this moment, we don't have a way to account for refunds or chargebacks through Zapier. For now, only income transactions can be recorded.

On your second inquiry: while these workflows are not available via our API right now, we are looking to expand on what is available for interested developers. You can learn more about our currently available APIs, view our development roadmap, access our Developer-centric forums, and find our Developer Support Request form by navigating to https://developer.waveapps.com!
    edited January 2, 2019

Hi @ramzey_09!

At this time, our Zapier integration can only create income transactions, so it cannot account for refunds or chargebacks.

Additionally, while this cannot be achieved via our APIs right now, we are continuously working to update what is available to interested developers. You can find more about our currently available APIs, find our Developer Support space, forum, and API roadmap by navigating to https://developer.waveapps.com!

The same goes for our Zapier integration -- we are looking to improve on available triggers and actions in the future!

• ramzey_09ramzey_09 Member Posts: 8

@Erik - I read on a separate thread I can enter a refund as a negative income transaction. Is this still the case and would I be able to do this via Zapier?

@ramzey_09 this was possible in a previous version of Wave, but does not accurately represent true events (i.e. you can't have a negative income transaction). As a result, this cannot be done through Zapier.

However, like mentioned, I will be sure to voice your demonstrated interest in this kind of feature to the team!

@Erik - Can you please advise then on a workaround for how I can automatically import transactions that are refunds or chargebacks?

@ramzey_09 apologies if this is something that you have already tried, but this should be more easily achieved if you use our Bank Connections function (found in the Banking tab**). This would import transactions as your bank sees them, so everything from income to expenses to refunds and chargebacks would be included. If you have tried that, is there a particular reason why it's not working for you?

@Erik - I do have the bank connection turned on but the bank imports whether deposits or withdrawals from my merchant accounts do not specify a customer or the service rendered.

I would have thought this basic matching capability would be available with Wave.

As a follow up to my original post my workaround has been to set the refunds up as sales deposits via Zapier but categorized under Refunds.

I would then go back manually change it from a deposit into a withdrawal. If the previous capability however could be restored that would be great.

• isaacjacobsisaacjacobs Member Posts: 4

Why can't we bulk allocate transfers?! It seems simple enough.

1. Searched for "TO *******456"
    2. Edit
      3. Allocate transfer > to which account
    3. Select mark reviewed, Apply.
  • CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

@isaacjacobs thanks for your message! To clarify, you're trying to change the account of multiple transfers at once? If you're changing the accounts on transfers, all the transfers selected would need to be the same 'side' of the transfer, as it were, in order to be bulk changed.

For example, if I paid off my credit card multiple times with my chequing account, the "transfer to" account would be the chequing account, and the "transfer from" account would be the credit card. If I wanted to make bulk changes and make the transfer be from my savings account instead, I'd need to select only the "transfer to" transactions, and bulk change the account. You can do the inverse for the "transfer from" as well. You can't bulk change the account on the opposite 'side' of a transfer at the same time as the current 'side' because then they would not be transfers, aka, a movement from one account to another, as they'd all be in one account.

If you were referring to changing the category, transfers can't be categorized in bulk because of the multi-layer selection process in the transfer creation edit.