Show Customer and InvoiceNum on Record A Payment screen

CyberHezCyberHez Member Posts: 1

As Treasurer of a Homeowner Association, I need to see see which customer and invoice it was that you clicked on and are entering a payment for on the Record A Payment screen, so that I can avoid accidentally crediting a the wrong payment to the wrong invoice and all related downstream problems.

*What do you do? Treasurer of a Homeowner Association of fewer than 100 homes (In my day-job I'm a Product Manager at a SAAS consulting company specializing in Business Weather Ingelligence)

• Who are your customers? Homeowner Members in a Homeowners' Association
  • What is the business, financing, or operational problem that you are facing, that your suggestion is intended to address? Crediting the wrong payment to the wrong invoice, which is very easy to do if your finger slips or there's any lag between the mouse and your screen, which happens occasionally. And then sending a receipt from the button on that screen -- I have a lot of customers, and I can't always tell which customer it is from the contact's email address (our primary form of ID is house address, not email)
  • What outcome do you see your suggestion creating? Reducing the risk that I will credit the wrong invoice and send a receipt to the wrong customer. Increased (or at least maintained) trust between the HOA Treasurer and our Customers. If the Customers like what we're doing and trust the Treasurer and the Treasurer's tools (such as Wave), Customers are likely to vote for the HOA to absorb the cost of expanding the ways in which they are able to pay (e.g. Wave would make some dough from their payments)
  • OK, now how do you picture this outcome being achieved in Wave? Customer and Invoice Number appear on the Record a Payment screen. Desirable but not Required is that the Customer field has the mouse-over / (i) feature like it has on the Invoices screen and Create/Edit Invoice screens.
  • Who else do you think would find this outcome useful? Users who cannot use Bank or Credit payments and must rely on Cash and Check payments. New Wave users trying out the program but who aren't yet ready for Bank and Credit processing. Users trying to increase Customer Trust or deal with trust-related issues.

Comments

• GrantWHallGrantWHall Member Posts: 24

@CyberHez, we too are a small HOA. Here is what we are doing. We have created our Customers using their name, and the first Contact field we use the PPIN (the distinct property identifier from the county assessors office. We also key in any other information like the street address, email address, if they want the bill to go a different address...etc. We use the Customer field and the Contact fields because those show on the Customer list screen and on the Customer drop down list.

We deposit all of our checks and on the Deposit slips we put the Invoice # the last name the check came from and the amount they paid. This way when the deposit transaction comes over from the bank account we can then associate the Invoices to the deposit. Currently, we do not use the Record a payment feature on the Invoice page because it creates a transaction on the Accounting - Transactions page and you are unable to merge multiple transactions together when the deposit is actually pulled from the bank.

Reach out to me and let's keep in touch - we might be able to help one another out...

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @CyberHez & @GrantWHall! Thanks for reaching out in our Community space!

@CyberHez thank you so much for taking the time to write this feature suggestion. You have provided all the relevant details and information that makes it easy for our team to see what the issue is, what you do and how you would like the feature to look and work in Wave. We greatly appreciate it!

At the moment this is not something our team is currently working on, but hopefully we can add this to the road map to help with the issue you are having when assigning payments to invoices.

@GrantWHall - thanks for sharing your current workaround to this. This information is really useful for other users to reference if they are also in the same situation!