PayPal integration just doesn't work

sunnyt7sunnyt7 Member Posts: 20

The PayPal integration is really broken. I've been trying to migrate my business over to Wave, but the integration looks like a dealbreaker at this point.

Connecting with my Paypal adds a starting balance, but nothing more. No transactions are imported - either historical transactions or transactions that occurred after the connection.

I've tried disconnecting/reconnecting multiple times.. nothing fixes it.

Support has said going the manual route is the most reliable option, but to me, having to manually export/format/import on a recurring basis just isn't an acceptable practice in 2019 in my opinion.

Comments

• sunnyt7sunnyt7 Member Posts: 20

Also just tried creating a completely new account. Set the import transactions date to a few months back. The only thing it imported were some transfers to my bank account, and the starting balance. Am I missing something here?

The issue has something to do with multicurrency.

I created a brand new Wave account, connected to PayPal, and it only imported the transactions where I converted USD to CAD when withdrawing to my bank.

I then created a 3rd Wave account, but made the base currency USD. After making the connection, all the PayPal transactions imported as normal.

I was hoping this might mean that if I change my PayPal primary currency it might work, but sadly that was not the case

I changed the PayPal primary currency to CAD, created a 4th Wave account with a CAD base, but the transactions did not import properly.

Maybe it has something to do with the transactions themselves being in USD?

I think the issue is that most of my Paypal transactions are in USD, but the new bank account currency Wave is creating is CAD. Is there any way I can make the integration use a USD bank account in Wave instead?

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @sunnyt7. Appreciate all that you've done here in terms of finding out what could be going on with our PayPal integration. With that said, you are correct, it's definitely in need of some work. One of our goals of 2019 is exploring different options for improving our bank connections as well as integration features, however, my suggestion is that in the meantime is that you continue to import your PayPal transactions manually via bank statement. When you are on the Chart of Account section in Wave, you should be able to create an asset account under Asset/Bank that will allow you to choose a USD account. However, you still may not be able to import transactions automatically since the integration will create it's own account.

@JamieD thanks for the response. Yeah, the only way to include my USD PayPal transactions is to input them manually. This is quite a tedious task though, as I need to manually do it each month, separate the transactions by currency, split out any fees, and then format everything properly.

It seems like it would be a simple fix to avoid all this. While it's not perfect, here's how Quickbooks handles it:

• Create PayPal Connection 1, set the currency of the corresponding bank account to USD
    • Create PayPal Connection 2, set the currency of the corresponding bank account to CAD

And then when I review all the transactions, I simply delete the CAD transactions from the USD account and vice versa. Of course it'd be nicer if it just recognized the currency of the transaction, but at least it makes it possible to automatically import transactions as opposed to doing it all by hand.

• BuzzedHoneysBuzzedHoneys Member Posts: 2

All my accounts are in USD
    When I enter my PayPal acct info to Wave, it doesn't connect

Any ideas?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @BuzzedHoneys . It sounds like this may just be an issue with the PayPal integration. Feel free to try importing your PayPal statements using Wave Connect.