Options

Deleting receipts

ThomasDalyThomasDaly Member Posts: 15

If I delete a receipt I've already entered (with status 'done'), does this automatically delete the transaction associated with it?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Laura_KavanaghLaura_Kavanagh Member Posts: 17 admin

Hey @ThomasDaly - Yes, deleting a receipt with a status of done will automatically delete the associated transaction. Hope this helps!

• Options

Thank you @Laura_Kavanagh . The question came up because I had filtered transactions on the transactions screen. When I deleted a receipt and then reloaded the (filtered) transactions screen, the transaction relating to the receipt was still there. Is it possible that there is a time lag between deleting a receipt and its associated transaction being deleted?

edited January 18, 2019
  • Options

Hi @Laura_Kavanagh , what you said doesn't seem to be the case - I've deleted a receipt with status 'done' but the corresponding transaction is still there. When I open the transaction details I can still view the scanned image of the receipt that should have been deleted.

edited January 26, 2019
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @ThomasDaly. Once a transaction has been created in Wave, you will need to make sure that it's deleted from the transactions section itself so that it's no longer appearing or associated with your accounting.

• Options

Hi @JamieD , so to be clear, deleting a receipt is a two-step process - 1) delete receipt from Purchases -> Receipts, and 2) delete associated transaction from Accounting -> Transactions?

• Options
    ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

@ThomasDaly said:
    Hi @JamieD , so to be clear, deleting a receipt is a two-step process - 1) delete receipt from Purchases -> Receipts, and 2) delete associated transaction from Accounting -> Transactions?

Hey! If you are looking to delete both receipt and matching transaction, then your 2 steps above are correct. Just deleting the receipt, will not remove the transaction for the receipt also. I hope this clears things up! :smile:

• Options
    GiroinGiroin Member Posts: 6

Hi,

I also noticed that deleting a receipt and then going to this specific transaction you can still find the receipt as a file. It's still on the server. Is this normal?

Thanks
    G.

• Options

@Giroin I have noticed the same and it's troubling. When the system claims a receipt has been 'deleted', it hasn't been deleted at all. For security and privacy, it ought to be possible to delete any data from the server that a user desires.

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @Giroin and @ThomasDaly . ZoeC's comment above still applies here. The way the system works is it creates a corresponding transaction when a receipt is uploaded to Wave. This transaction is what is tracked for accounting and reports purposes, and deleting the receipt entry itself on the Receipts page doesn't delete the accounting entry (as they're not longer linked).