Attach PDF invoice to a Bill

idealdesignsidealdesigns Member Posts: 2
Hello

Basically I want to record expenses of let's say a yearly hosting plan I bought which I can deduct from my tax as busieness related expense.

In waveapps I create a Bill but with the bill I want to attach a PDF invoice from the hosting company, if a tax Audit happens I will provide the original invoice PDF and other related files, would be cool to embed attachments to a Bill

Comments

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hi @idealdesigns. This is a great feature request here -- I definitely appreciate you taking the time to let us know how it would benefit you as well. With that said, we do not have any plans to allow for the option of adding an attachment in the bills section just yet, however, we could implement this on a future roadmap.

• QuickbooksQuickbooks Member Posts: 7

This is a great feature. Quickbook and even slickpie uses it. It helps me keep track of even checks that I have been paid so I can have a visual of it instead of paper.

• JeremyPhelpsJeremyPhelps Member Posts: 1

I'd love this feature too. I use it a lot within Quickbooks.

• AmandaKAmandaK Member Posts: 73 admin

@Quickbooks @JeremyPhelps appreciate you chiming in and letting us know you're both interested in this feature - this is super helpful for our product teams!

• ShawnMcleanShawnMclean Member Posts: 4

I'm also pinging this thread to request this.

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@ShawnMclean Thanks for leaving your +1 for this feature idea I'm curious if you'd be able to explain how this would change your workflow in Wave and why it might be an essential feature for us to consider? Leaving this level of detail will help our Product Team when they are considering what will be added to the Product Roadmap :)

• ShawnMcleanShawnMclean Member Posts: 4
    When I receive an invoice via email, I'd like to attach it to a bill so auditing is much easier.

I don't have much stake in waves anymore though, I've moved to QuickBooks the past week. The lack of this feature was the final push along with a few other requests that have been suggested for years now.
  • HendertechHendertech Member Posts: 1

We would also find this feature request very helpful. Thanks for the consideration.

• dricklesdrickles Member Posts: 1

This feature would be incredibly useful as well. @JordanD, since we are required to keep invoices and receipts as verification/justification of any deducted payment in the event we are audited. It seems a crucial thing that if we are electronically cataloging receipts for record-keeping, we should also be able to do so for bill-driven invoices. You allow it for small receipts, why not for what are generally the bigger ones?

edited November 5, 2019
  • JamrJamr Member Posts: 37

I make a receipt of the invoice so both the bill and the paid receipt appear in the transaction section as the same amount, then merge that receipt with the bill and can see them both together in one transaction.
    But I do agree, an invoice would be better attached to a bill, paid or not than a transaction already paid.

• 2CasaElegante2CasaElegante Member Posts: 6

In order to attach a receipt to a transaction which is downloaded from my bank account, i have scanned in the receipt and added it as another entry in my bank account and then I merge the 2 transactions.
    Am I doubling the transaction amount when I do this?
    Do I need to enter the expense with the receipt as a zero dollar amount?

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

hey @2CasaElegante

When a receipt and bank imported transaction are merged, the amounts are merged into one.

Check out your account transactions report for extra confirmation.

• mikewmikew Member Posts: 2

Definitely need the ability to attach an invoice to a bill and receipts to reimbursement requests and check images to payments. Perhaps after a year since this question was posted it has been put on the roadmap since it is such a basic need?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @mikew . Attachments have not made their way onto the roadmap yet I'm afraid. Thanks for bringing this up again though as a +1 to the feature!

• GrantWHallGrantWHall Member Posts: 24

This would be a great feature.

• ThemrspsThemrsps Member Posts: 2
    Have been following a few threads here for a while on this and appears it was noted by admin on another post back in 2018 that the community had been heard loud and clear this was something we wanted and they would be working on this in 2019! Now appears nothing has been done! Being able to add an attachment to go with your invoice is incredibly important! My business needs to be able to send very comprehensive terms and conditions that don’t fit in the notes sections of the invoice them self. They need to go at the same time as the invoice so it’s clear when paying they are accepting these.
    Also if we bill for damage we need to provide a document to show what was damaged, with images or a cleaning receipt of professional cleaned. I personally wouldn’t pay something if these types of things were not provided to me.

Please get Wave to reconsider providing this as an option when sending An invoice to be able to add a PDF attachment to go in the same email - this would help so many businesses!
  • RickRRickR Member Posts: 1

Wave -- I love being able to say goodbye to Intuit and QuickBooks. QuickBooks has provided the ability to attach a PDF to Invoices for years. The coding necessary to be able to attache PDFs to Invoices is not challenging. I have seen the Support strings saying that it is something that Wave is working on. Please prioritize that feature, test it and release it soon!!!! (Coding time is less than 2-3 months to include testing - As CEO of a Digital Forensics Case Management Software company - My developers could whip that out in 2-3 weeks) and did so for our customers that needed to store and send email with stored PDF (and any other type of file).

Again - on behalf of at least 30% of your customers, please release that feature soon!!!

Thank you!!!
    Rick

edited March 4, 2020
  • Starik70Starik70 Member Posts: 8

I have been hesitant to use Bills to track outstanding invoices mainly because I don't want to have a separate system to store those invoices on Google Drive. This would also help when submitting VAT forms every month. Hope Wave prioritizes this feature soon. Thanks.

• LittleBizLittleBiz Member Posts: 10

YES Please Wave App team, I've been waiting for this feature for years!

Attachment uploads to Invoices/Bills/Transactions are so important.

Xero definitely has this ability

• JessGJessG Member Posts: 54 admin

@LittleBiz @Starik70 @RickR @GrantWHall @Themrsps

Thank you so much for your +1s!

We appreciate you taking the time to provide in-depth explanations of the specific requests, such as the need for service documentations, adding comprehensive terms, submitting VAT forms, reimbursement requests and more. This feedback is essential and highly valuable for our product development process. Our product team is always parsing the community posts for new features/updates.

As previously mentioned by AlexL., we're still looking towards adding this feature to the roadmap! If you have any other details and ideas, please forward them to us! We'd love to hear them.

• Thinking_FactoryThinking_Factory Member Posts: 1

Hi,

When I create a bill under purchase and link it to one of my supplier, I don't see any way to upload the electronic version of the document. Can we do this in wave?

Thanks a lot.
    Best Regards

edited May 3, 2020
  • Sean78Sean78 Member Posts: 2

Any updates on when attaching (hopefully via drag & drop) receipts to bank imported transactions and/or expense reimbursements and also attaching invoices and receipts to vendor bills will be part of Wave's roadmap? Seems that being able to directly attach receipts, invoices, etc. has been requested for a couple years with no forward movement. With such a fundamental work flow improvement requested by so many in various threads, what would it take to get it on the roadmap?

Love what Wave is up to, just hoping to have the current complexity simplified. Thanks!

• MilanMilan Member Posts: 14

Hey Wave team? What is the status on this. Adding an upload button and storing PDF files can't be that hard ;) - Do you need help? Let me know!

Use case is very simple, I receive invoices from vendors and I need to keep them to prove why money has left my account. I have no need to add items in the bill, all I want to is to have one place to keep incoming invoices / bills (same way I keep my invoices in Wave).

So for most simple implementation if I could just upload PDF that I have received from the vendor - that would be great.

Ideally I would just forward the email with the attachment that I have received from the vendor to bills@wavesapp.com and it would be processed in a similar way as Receipts.

edited May 7, 2020
  • JamrJamr Member Posts: 37

You might want to connect with H&R Block. They now own Wave.
    Maybe they are abandoning this comm platform.
    https://betakit.com/wave-to-be-acquired-by-hr-block-for-537-million-cad/

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@Milan @Sean78 Thanks for checking in. To be transparent, a lot of our development resources at the moment are going towards ways that we can impact Wave businesses through COVID-19 and because of this, some of the ideas on the board for other improvements have been shelved for the short term and will likely be revisited once we begin to see the effects of COVID-19 reduced - though I still cannot promise that this will be implemented. Because cashflow and payroll specifically are 2 areas where many changes need to be deployed following announcements by the US and Canadian governments, these have monopolized our time and for good reason. While attaching a PDF to an invoice or a bill is something that we are still hoping to investigate further, we see a couple of higher impact and immediate areas where we feel extremely obligated to make immediate changes on.

@Jamr While it is correct that Wave was acquired by H&R Block, this happened last summer and as an organization, we continue to aim to provide a product to Wavers that is impactful. I understand that this specific feature has been discussed in the Community Forum for quite some time. We are extremely lucky to have a community of strong and valued voices, but the crux of the matter here does not revolve around H&R Block as our parent company and their interest or financial backing of this feature.

@Thinking_Factory While that feature doesn't currently exist, one way that other Wavers have acheived this is by saving the original bills to an online cloud storage software (like DropBox as an example) and providing the link in the notes for the transaction for your records.

edited May 11, 2020
  • tsfjaxtsfjax Member Posts: 47 ✭✭

@Jamr said:
    You might want to connect with H&R Block. They now own Wave.
    Maybe they are abandoning this comm platform.
    https://betakit.com/wave-to-be-acquired-by-hr-block-for-537-million-cad/

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on this! 🙂

• PhillipFPhillipF Member Posts: 1

I can't believe this isn't a feature on the platform. I've had complaints from clients about this in this first month of testing Wave. Afraid I am going to have to move elsewhere and start over again. Most accounting receiving uses these commonly emailed PDFs to process everything. Seems trivial, but asking them to click and download and this and that creates potential for delay on payments when they don't do it because of the extra steps.

• _Derek__Derek_ Member Posts: 62 ✭✭

We need ability to have default option to send estimate and invoice with a PDF by default.

Use case - Our quotes and invoices are typically multiple pages and have a page of Terms and Conditions. The default email send with the link does not paginate and include page numbers.
    So unless the customer chooses to print page numbers within their browser, page numbers do not appear and therefore a customer may or may not see or print the TOC or abusively claim they didn't get it. Your PDF attachment includes the pagination along with the page numbers so it provides better protection. We want this on by default, not as something that has to be clicked every time.

The acceptable of the TOC for payment is nice option but only works half the time since we work with government and organizations which may only issue checks from a PO.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Derek

Thanks for this thorough use-case scenario. Since Wave is a cloud-based software our team has not prioritized many new developments for our PDF downloader. I do understand how this would be beneficial for your business but in an effort of being transparent our developers do not have this planned on their roadmap. Thanks again for your contribution.

• NimbusUnlimitedNimbusUnlimited Member Posts: 10

I understand that Wave is looking for ways to help small business owners by making bookkeeping easy, and so it confounds me that attaching a PDF to a Bill is not a standard feature, similar to how a Receipt can now be attached to a Transaction.

But more than that, how is it that users are unable to submit an Invoice to Wave Bills and by the power of OCR, have Wave automatically create a Bill?

Business owners spend an immense amount of time looking at invoicing, essentially re-creating it as a Wave Bill, only to not be able to keep a copy of the original invoice.

I was thinking of setting up Payroll for my Independent Contractors, but the fact that I have to manually enter the details of an Invoice into the system to create a Bill so that I can pay them is making me rethink this since writing a check and sticking it in the mail takes the same amount of time and stamps are cheaper.