Unrealized Gain on Foreign Exchange

CelWaveCelWave Member Posts: 3

Hi,
Is there a way I can see the details of the transactions which impact the "Unrealized Gain on Foreign Exchange" account. I see that account in my P&L and would like to see which transactions affected that account and how much. However, I don't seem to be able to click on the line in the P&L (like I can do with other accounts).

Thank you!

edited January 29, 2019 in Accounting Technical Support

Comments

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@CelWave you can sort the transactions in this account by clicking Reports > Account Transactions, and then you'll be able to filter for this account; once you update the report, it'll show you the associated transactions based on the date ranges you select.

• ShankarShankar Member Posts: 1

Hi,
    We are also facing same issue. We see one row with heading "Unrealized Loss on Foreign Exchange" with very high number, Even there are other entries with "Loss on Foreign Exchange" and "Gain on Foreign Exchange" which make sense. But "Unrealized Loss on Foreign Exchange" does not make sense, it is also not clickable at all. Even this entry automatically added to this month as well.
    please help here.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Shankar

Can you potentially try searching for these transactions in your transactions page using the loss on foreign exchange, and gain accounts using the filter tool at the top of the transactions page.

• Hfayaz786110Hfayaz786110 Member Posts: 4

Hi, the details you mention via transactions menu, is for realised gain or loss on foreign exchange. Is there a way we can have a look on details for UNrealised gain or loss on foreign excahnge please ? huge amounts are coming up suddenly and it does impact the expected return/balance sheet for the year... many tahnks for your help, rgds.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Hfayaz786110

I'm unsure if this article on Foreign currency invoices and bills might be able to address your issue but it does mention the unrealized gain or loss on an invoice/bill

Wave uses the mid-market rates from xe.com in cases where we need to approximate the currency conversion for you. These are: calculating unrealized gains and losses on foreign exchange, approximating the foreign exchange rate when creating the second side of a foreign currency transfer, and calculating the value of receipts entered in a foreign currency.

• Hfayaz786110Hfayaz786110 Member Posts: 4
    Hi yes it helps understand the methos used by wave to show unrealised gain or loss on foreign exchange, but i would like to see the detailed calculations happening for my business since a huge amount is appearing and i can not figure out why... if there was a way to have the details, just like it is available for realised gain or losa on foreign exchange.... many thanks. Rgds.
  • CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @Hfayaz786110 , thanks so much for your feedback here. I'll be sure to pass this along to our developers for consideration as an improvement to the foreign exchange gain/loss representation in Wave.

• MartaPMartaP Member Posts: 14

Not being able to see the details of the calculation Unrealised Gain on Foreign Exchange is not acceptable! Before the upgrade there was a special report showing Unrealised Gain/Loss on Foreign Exchange. This is another bug in Wave after the upgrade!

Hi @MartaP , thanks for this feedback. We're currently working on improvements to how foreign exchange works and appears in Wave, so we can expect these improvements to come to your account in time (though I don't have an exact ETA). Thanks for your patience as we work on improving this feature.

• MarielMariel Member Posts: 1

Hi, I'm facing same trouble . Have you any update on this matter?

Hi @Mariel , thanks for reaching out! I'm afraid there are not updates on this issue at this time. We'll be proactively reaching out once these changes launch, so keep an eye on your inbox and also our Accounting Release Community zone!

• liseloveliselove Member Posts: 2

Hi @CallieP
    I have "Unrealized Gain on Foreign Exchange" every year as income and I do not know where these amounts come from. I buy and sell in the US in dollars only (apart from once in 2019). I cannot click the "Unrealized Gain on Foreign Exchange" and I cannot find it in Transactions as suggested by @Barsin
    Anything to help, thanks