My Sales Tax Report reads £0.00

stonelynkorganicsstonelynkorganics Member Posts: 4

Hello there,

after having input hundreds of purchases subject to VAT since my business opened last March, and having only now registered for VAT in the UK, I am disappointed to find that my Sales Tax Report feature doesn't seem to be working. The report simply reads £0.00. I seem to remember this not being the case near the beginning of my business, say 9 months ago, but now the function seems not to work at all. It seems I may have to manually calculate all of my VAT expenditure for the last 11 months manually which will be a big and arduous task as you can imagine.

Could you explain why this might be, or what I may be missing, or if there is some manual way to override this functionality and calculate my TAX costs a different way?

Many thanks

Comments

• MerlinAccounts_UKMerlinAccounts_UK Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Hi

Re backdating VAT claims from pre registration periods, you can only claim for assets (incl stock) held as at date of registration (so long as purchased within 3 years) and on services supplied in the 6 months prior - you cannot claim for goods and services consumed prior to registration, so be extremely careful what you attempt to claim on your first VAT Return.

Regarding the tax report issue, I presume you have been inputting the VAT values of the relevant qualifying transactions (see first para) when you entered the transaction values? Not entirely sure why you would be getting a zero to be honest. You have selected the correct reporting period? Does a balance for sales tax not show on the balance sheet?

Perhaps you could share some screen shots?

• stonelynkorganicsstonelynkorganics Member Posts: 4

Hi Andrew,

thank you for your helpful reply.

First of all, I wasn't aware of the limitations of which I can claim VAT back, so thank you for informing me of that. Just to check if my understanding is correct; for purchases which remain held as an asset, e.g. timber used to build a shed, I can claim back VAT, but purchases of items which were then consumed, e.g. plastic bags for packaging produce which is sold, I cannot? What about compost; it is consumed in that I've used it on the garden but it is still a valuable asset held in the garden, arguably. What counts as consumed? What about petrol for my machines?

Indeed I have been inputting that VAT values on all VATable purchases, and I have ensured that the reporting period is correct. There's no mention of Sales Tax on my balance sheet.

I wonder if it has anything to do with introducing a new sales tax, which I did mid-way through the year which may have confused the system. I introduced a 5% sales tax which is the VAT charged on petrol. Might this have caused a problem with the software?

• stonelynkorganicsstonelynkorganics Member Posts: 4

I've just discovered the setting in Wave for saying whether your tax is recoverable or not. Both taxes I use are set as nonrecoverable, which is wrong but I see now too late to change. Could that be why it won't show me how much I have spent on tax?

• MerlinAccounts_UKMerlinAccounts_UK Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

@stonelynkorganics said:
    Hi Andrew,

thank you for your helpful reply.

First of all, I wasn't aware of the limitations of which I can claim VAT back, so thank you for informing me of that. Just to check if my understanding is correct; for purchases which remain held as an asset, e.g. timber used to build a shed, I can claim back VAT,

Is the shed a business asset? Used wholly and exclusively for the business?

but purchases of items which were then consumed, e.g. plastic bags for packaging produce which is sold, I cannot?

If the sale took place prior to VAT registration you cannot claim the VAT back

What about compost; it is consumed in that I've used it on the garden but it is still a valuable asset held in the garden, arguably.

How is your garden a business asset?

What counts as consumed?

You've used it up before you became VAT registered.

What about petrol for my machines?

_After you are registered? Of course _

Indeed I have been inputting that VAT values on all VATable purchases, and I have ensured that the reporting period is correct. There's no mention of Sales Tax on my balance sheet.

I wonder if it has anything to do with introducing a new sales tax, which I did mid-way through the year which may have confused the system. I introduced a 5% sales tax which is the VAT charged on petrol. Might this have caused a problem with the software?

Think you may have cleared this point looking at your sebsequent post