Non-operating Expenses

JamesWJamesW Member Posts: 11

How would I go about accounting for my recent corporation tax payment as I tried to add another expense account and I am only given four options; Operating Expense, Cost of Goods Sold, Payment Processing Fee and Payroll Expense, all of which count as tax deductible expenses?
What I need to account for is non tax deductible, however does count as an expense and affects the net profit? (i.e. it cannot affect gross profit)

edited March 19, 2019 in Accounting Technical Support

Comments

• MikegMikeg Member Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

JamesW,
    Taxes are an operating expense even if they are not deductible by the corporation. Based upon post I'm assuming you are talking a C -Corp which has US tax payments. It is correct that they are not deductible on Form 1120 however, you make a book to tax adjustment on the return to account for the difference. This is the same as travel and entertainment. Only 50% is typically deducible but the entire expense is presented on the income statement.
    Mike G, CPA
    www.mgfinancial.net

• JamesWJamesW Member Posts: 11

@Mikeg Hi Mike- many thanks for the prompt reply. If I were to add an operating expense account for this should the expense affect the gross profit, as I thought taxes were deducted from the gross profit in order to calculate net profit?

edited March 19, 2019

JamesW,
    Nope, should not affect gross profit. Taxes are shown after gross profit. So I would not add an account under cost of goods sold. Just regular operating expense.
    Mike G, CPA
    www.mgfinancial.net
    Servicing clients coast to coast

• JamesWJamesW Member Posts: 11

@Mikeg thank you for the advice - much appreciated!

No problem, anytime
    Mike G, CPA
    www.mgfinancial.net
    Servicing clients coast to coast