delete account from chart of accounts

melissa18melissa18 Member Posts: 13

how do I delete an account that I created in the chart of accounts?

Comments

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @melissa18 -- As of right now, there isn't a way to delete an account from the chart of accounts section (they can only be archived). This help centre article should provide more insight for you in this particular situation; https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004972106-Understanding-your-new-improved-chart-of-accounts

• kinofistkinofist Member Posts: 6

As was mentioned you cannot delete an account per se, only tell Wave not to allow use in the future. However, once there are no attached transactions attached to said account, the account disappears (deletes). So move items in that account, then edit the account and choose to not use it anymore.

• jfdkldsflksiorjjfdkldsflksiorj Member Posts: 3

Can we delete accounts now? I made one by accident.

edited September 1, 2020
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @jfdkldsflksiorj , @kinofist 's instructions above your post are still the way this is handled in Wave and are the best steps to get rid of your account.

• JaipurkitchenJaipurkitchen Member Posts: 5

Hi, my archived account is still being used when I generate my balance sheet. How do I prevent this?

Hey @Jaipurkitchen , if your account has transactions in it then it will continue to show up in your reports. The only way around this would be deleting the transactions themselves, as this would also then have the account deleted.

• cblaze22cblaze22 Member Posts: 2

I see deleted old, archived accounts everywhere. How in the world are we suppose to use this and run reports when we have all this old, duplicated data. This is nuts.

Hey @cblaze22 , can you explain some of your reasons for deleting and archiving accounts? What did you use them for which you no longer do? Having a better understanding of your workflow will help our Product team better understand how our users use this function for future product prioritizations.

• cblaze22cblaze22 Member Posts: 2

Geez there are many reasons. I may want to delete old data, maybe I messed up on how I catorgorized things. Maybe the account isnt in use anymore, just so many that why is this not a feature.

• DarseyGDarseyG Member Posts: 1

The above comments don't explicitly say to archive the account after transactions are removed. The account doesn't disappear on its own.

As of Sep 2021:
    1. Delete all transactions for the account (Transactions page, filter from top-left dropdown, then delete-all. You may need to "load more" at the bottom many times)
    2. Go to chart of accounts, and Archive the account. It will then disappear.

• FindlayFindlay Member Posts: 3

@AlexL said:

can you explain some of your reasons for deleting and archiving accounts?

In addition to what @cblaze22 mentioned, here's a reason... I have just signed up to evaluate Wave, and one thing that's a real turn off is that you guys pro-populated it with a whole bunch of accounts that are completely irrelevant to me. There are 20 different expense accounts to begin with and maybe only five of them are relevant to me. I'd like to just clean it up and delete all these empty useless accounts so I can start with a fresh slate -- my own slate -- instead of having the software dictate how it wants to be used.

It took me at least half an hour to manually archive all the irrelevant ones. It would be a much better user experience if there was a way to nuke it, scorched earth, and start from the ground up.

• Banah23Banah23 Member Posts: 3

Ok so I have a question too and maybe I'm wrong but when I look at my balance sheet I have my Cash and Bank asset accounts. Currently there are 5 Bank accounts listed, however I only use 2 now. New ones were created when my bank was bought out and I had to re-connect those accounts. So I don't want to remove those accounts from my business because the transactions for them are all relevant to the time I was using those account (say last year). However am I correct in thinking that having these accounts on my current balance sheet is making it seem like I have more assets than I really do? It seems like allowing those accounts to be on there is making my balance sheet inaccurate. I would just like to find a way to keep those accounts in Wave but remove them from my balance sheet.