ING-DiBa (Germany) bank connection stopped working

uniqueeunikeuniqueeunike Member Posts: 2

I have connected to ING-DiBa Bank Germany successfully last week, but for 4 days the connection has stopped working.

"There is a technical issue between Wave and your bank. We're on the case. Attempt to update in a few days and if it persists, visit our help center to investigate."

No further details are provided and the help page is rather unhelpful:

"Depending upon how complex a change is needed by out bank integration partner, and how popular your bank is, your connection could be up and running again in a couple of days, or many months."

One reason I chose to use Wave is, that is was supporting my bank at the time when I started using it. Converting .csv files from this bank into a Wave usable format is incredibly cumbersome and error-prone, making Wave a less desirable solution.

Where can we get more details about the problem and when it could be resolved? Does Wave provide any kind of support by E-Mail?

Comments

• James_HudsonJames_Hudson Member Posts: 121 admin

Hey @uniqueeunike, I've taken a look at our banking data provider's records, and it looks ING-DiBa has a particularly inconsistent success rate among the financial institutions supported by bank integration partner mentioned in the error message that you received.

In the past couple of weeks, ING-DiBa has seen its "refresh rate" (the rate at which transactions are being imported) drop to below 10%. Our banking data provider internally prioritizes fixes when a connection shows performance like this, and there's a good chance that a more reliable connection is being worked on, but Wave's hands are a bit tied as to how that prioritization occurs.

You mentioned that you've found converting .csv files cumbersome, so I'd recommend checking out our Google Sheets Integration, Wave Connect, as an effective way to get your .csv data into Wave.

When it comes to reaching our team via email, you can talk to a member of Wave's Support Team by submitting a request here.

• uniqueeunikeuniqueeunike Member Posts: 2

James, thanks for the reply! - 10% success rate seems about right :-(
    It took roughly 10 days to update and now it displays the same error again for two days. If you pay your "banking data provider", you can tell them how to prioritize banks, right?

• Google Sheets do not help, as the ING-DiBa format of csv files is not at all compatible with Wave. It takes many steps and manipulations of text files and spreadsheets to get it into an importable format. Its OK to do this once for a full year of old transactions, but not for monthly updates.

• The CSV importer of Wave is very limited and inflexible. It cannot handle CSVs using semicolons as separator and European number formats, which contain commas instead of periods. The example below illustrates this. Also the documentation of the Wave csv format is incomplete and the import can only be figured out after reading multiple community posts. The sample file is also missing from your documentation.

ING-DiBa Format:

Buchung;Valuta;Auftraggeber/Empf�nger;Buchungstext;Verwendungszweck;Saldo;W�hrung;Betrag;W�hrung
    04.04.2019;04.04.2019;NETTO MARKEN-DISCOU.;Lastschrift;Netto Marken-Discount//Muenchen/DE 2019-04-03T18:33:24 Folgenr.000 Ver falld.2022-12;562,12;EUR;-4,72;EUR

WAVE required format:

DATE,DESCRIPTION,AMOUNT
    04.04.2019,Lastschrift NETTO MARKEN-DISCOU. Netto Marken-Discount//Muenchen/DE 2019-04-03T18:33:24 Folgenr.000 Ver falld.2022-12,-4.72

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@uniqueeunike Unfortunately in this situation there isn't too much we can do in terms of changing the file formatting for our uploader for bank statements (or even in Wave Connect). It might be best to create a generic excel/CSV then import your data into that template (perhaps finding one online might help) and then importing that information into Wave. Appreciate your understanding in this situation.