How to attach an uploaded receipt to a bill

Peter Voigt KnudsenPeter Voigt Knudsen Member Posts: 3

Hi,

When I make a bill for a vendor in order to record an invoice received from him, I cannot attach the invoice. But I would like the invoices to be recorded inside wave, just as receipts.

I can make a receipt, where the invoice is then uploaded, but these are for immediate payments and are not attached to a vendor. And I would like to be able to get totals of expenses for each of my vendors. For that I need bills, it seems.

And I saw that you could, for a receipt, find the transaction in the transactions list and "create a bill payment". But I could not make this work.

What is your workflow for uploading invoices as bills to be paid later, so that the payments are recorded per defined vendor?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Peter Voigt Knudsen

So you currently can't attach a file to a bill created in Wave. They have to be created manually. Wave also doesn't currently allow you to attach a vendor to a transaction, but that's a feature that's in the works right now. There is, however, a Purchases by Vender report that's based on vendors attached to your bills and receipts.

Here's the workflow to create and pay a bill.

• Create your bill following the steps outlined here.
    • If you enter your transactions manually, you can record a bill as paid directly from your Bills page. To do this, click on the arrow to the right of your bill and choose "Record payment"
    • If you upload your transactions via a bank connections, or through bank statement uploads, don't record a payment from that page. Instead, find the matching transaction on your Transactions and categorize is as "Payment for a bill made in Wave". You'll have the option to choose any of your unpaid bills.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd love to help.

• nickpnickp Member Posts: 1

Does a receipt for payment get emailed to the vendor automatically? I have a subcontractor that invoices me for their work. It would be great to send an email as record of payment to them. What's the best method to do this?

edited April 8, 2018
  • AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @npapps35.

No, sending receipts for payments is a responsibility of the vendor. You'll still be able to see that information in your reports, however.

• WilliamIIWilliamII Member Posts: 4

I too agree this would be a great feature to have. It would allow easy documentation of expenses.

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @WilliamII! Thanks for the feedback. An update to the above, you should now be able to assign a vendor to a transaction, so there is a little bit more functionality in that respect.

Also, you should be able to actually merge the two transactions as well, as long as they are of the same value and associated with the same account. So, if you locate the bill payment, and the receipt generated transaction, you can check the two, select merge, and then have everything in one place. This would mean there wouldn't be an overstatement of expenses (because of the two transactions) but also you'd be able to head over to the receipt directly from the bill payment transaction.

• WilliamIIWilliamII Member Posts: 4

Thanks for the tip @Samd. Sounds like a reasonable workaround.

• svvitalesvvitale Member Posts: 4

Hi @Samd, I'm not seeing where I can attach a vendor to a transaction? I've been using the merge feature to combine receipts and payment transactions, but like the others in this thread, I'd like to be able to see expenses by vendor without manually entering a bill each time. Thanks for any direction you can provide.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@svvitale ahh I just checked your account, and the reason you don't see it is because this is a workflow that was built into the new version of Wave. Meanwhile, your account hasn't been migrated over to the new version yet so it won't be available. Keep an eye on your inbox and in-app for updates about when you'll be moved over!

• svvitalesvvitale Member Posts: 4
    Is there any way I can request to be upgraded? There are two or three pieces of functionality that I've asked about that are included in the new version. I'd really like to get there, and my account is pretty simple - we're still a very small business.
  • ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @svvitale, In the spirit of full transparency, we have temporarily paused migration for the remainder of users still on our older accounting software. The reason for this is that some of our updated features have not been very well received by users that have been migrated, we have gathered a lot of feedback and off of that we are improving and changing some of the new features to provide the best user experience that we can. Not until these updates have been completed and rolled out to the best of our ability will we continue migrating the rest of our users over.

I do not currently have an ETA on when your account will be migrated, but it will be soon! Our Product Team is working tirelessly to get all updates completed and provide you with the best product that we can.

• pb2andjdesignspb2andjdesigns Member Posts: 1

@Samd I just saw your comment on this post about merging a bill and a receipt but can't figure out how to accomplish this. Could you give me the steps to be able to do this? Thanks!

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @pb2andjdesigns! One actually doesn't have the ability to merge a bill and a receipts, but rather, the transactions that those two entries create within your Accounting > Transactions page. To merge those transactions, you'll want to click the small checkbox beside them within your transactions page, and then hit 'Merge' which should highlight at the top of your screen.