Crashing Chrome and Firefox today - keystroke logger?

joshstrikejoshstrike Member Posts: 3

I did a system upgrade yesterday, so it's possible this is not something new added by Wave, but having said that, I was able to use Wave last night. Starting today, Wave is crashing both Chrome and Firefox. The steps to reproduce the crash are:

1. Go into an invoice and add a new item
  2. Start typing in the item's description field.

In Chrome, this just freezes the tab completely. In Firefox, the web page starts bouncing up and down super fast as if it's trying to show an error at the top. But in neither one can you type anything into that field, or do anything else on the page.

I found a workaround, which is to block connections to fullstory.com and the related addresses where I see the keystroke and click tracker is trying to talk to it ever time I interact with the page. So I think this is what's causing it.

I'd like to also mention that I have concerns about having my keystrokes logged while I'm entering information about my finances. I understand you use 3rd party software to track user interaction, but granular information about my hours or billings should not be being shared with another party.

Comments

• CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hey @joshstrike thanks for posting! Firstly, I'd like to address your privacy concerns: Wave doesn't do keystroke logging, but we do leverage third parties including Fullstory to help us understand how users interact with our software. We do not send sensitive information to third parties. You can read more about our measures to create a safe and secure environment for you and your data here in our terms.

This issue has been reported by a number of our customers and our team is on it, however we're having some difficulty reproducing on our end. Could you confirm what update you ran? Is the issue happening elsewhere in Wave or just in invoices? Finally, are you running any other browser extensions? Thanks so much.

• joshstrikejoshstrike Member Posts: 3

Hi Charlotte, the upgrade I did was to Mac OS X 10.11 from a previous version. The only extension I'm running is Ghostery, but it was not blocking Fullstory. I'm working on a Windows 10 PC today, also with Ghostery, and the bug is not showing up in either Firefox or Chrome. So I think it may be an OS X issue...

• PrauphetPrauphet Member Posts: 2

I also started experiencing this "freeze screen" while attempting to input an invoice. I'm using Chrome, Version 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) (64-bit) on a Mac, running 10.11.6. The problem started for me on 2/13 or 2/14 this week.

I just noticed Chrome wants to update this version, need to relaunch browser. I will post this and add the update information after relaunch.

OK, Chrome just updated to: Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Will try to launch the app again and test.

• PrauphetPrauphet Member Posts: 2

UPDATE

After updating my browser (Google Chrome) from Version 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) (64-bit) on a Mac, running 10.11.6 to: Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) (64-bit), I relaunched the app and was able to complete an invoice without the dreaded "freeze screen".

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the same problem.

• RahimRahim Member Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi Prauphet,

This issue should be resolved now. We identified an issue caused by a change in a third party analytics tool. They fixed the issue on their end and it resolved for our customers as well!

There should be no action required on your end for this (no updates required for browsers).

Thank you for flagging the issue!