Emailing receipts that have no attachments

jamesdawsondesignjamesdawsondesign Member Posts: 3

Hi,
I do a significant number of purchases online using paypal as my payment method.
Typically I receive an email receipt, however it is in the body of the email and not as an attachment.
Any solution or workaround here for sending it on to receipts@waveapps.com?

Thanks
James

Comments

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey @jamesdawsondesign! The receipts upload feature in Wave was originally created for cash type receipts. This is because Wave relies on an OCR technology that scans the receipt in certain areas to collect the information that is needed. When an online receipt is uploaded, it is difficult for the OCR to find the information needed, as it is typically found in different areas on an online receipt. In cases like these, you would likely be better served by entering the transaction as an expense on the transactions page and storing these receipts outside of Wave for the time being.

We are exploring potential options to add functionality the options on the transactions page, so in future, you may find that this sort of functionality may increase to allow uploading receipts directly to a transaction.

• snarkstudiossnarkstudios Member Posts: 3

I have this same issue, where the majority of my receipts are from online payments (even from coffee shops or restaurants I now can get emailed a receipt), but the receipt is in the body of email vs. attachment. Finally got a workaround / workflow working in Zapier that maybe will help people with this same feature request until / if Wave adds this to emailing receipt abilities! It's convoluted (and one of the zaps requires a paid Zapier account because it's multi-step) but it WORKS. Would be super happy if anyone has suggestions on how I can improve or simplify this, again until/unless Wave adds this feature cough please add this feature :smile:

OK Zap 1: Convert an Email into a PDF Stored in Google Drive. I added a naming convention so it adds "RECEIPT" at the beginning of every file name.

[optional middle step, search for file(s) and move them to a folder]

Zap 2: Send emails from Gmail with new files from Google Drive. Find new files added to Receipts folder and send an email to receipts@waveapps with that file as attachment. BOOM.

Again if you have a paid Zapier account, this can probably be simplified but I'm trying to find a free way for now, other than manually sending.