Transaction auto categories are rubbish

GodAtumGodAtum Member Posts: 3

Starbucks is a miscellaneous category, really!!?? Come on, it should be restaurants, coffee and bars! :/

Comments

• paintergirlpaintergirl Member Posts: 4

You can add your own categories. You could even have a Starbucks one, if you wanted ;)

• GodAtumGodAtum Member Posts: 3

But the auto categories should be working properly.

edited July 2, 2019
  • JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @GodAtum. As @paintergirl mentioned, you can simply add a category in the Chart of Accounts section, and once you categorize something such as 'Starbucks' or 'Restaurant, Coffee, & Bars' the auto-categorization feature will include a pop-up that says 'they are similar categories like this' and allow you to categorize all of the transactions similar to that. When any future transaction from Starbucks comes through, it will also be categorized as that from there after.

• GodAtumGodAtum Member Posts: 3

@JamieD said:
    Hey @GodAtum. As @paintergirl mentioned, you can simply add a category in the Chart of Accounts section, and once you categorize something such as 'Starbucks' or 'Restaurant, Coffee, & Bars' the auto-categorization feature will include a pop-up that says 'they are similar categories like this' and allow you to categorize all of the transactions similar to that. When any future transaction from Starbucks comes through, it will also be categorized as that from there after.

Sorry I'm stuck. I can see the categories in Chart of Accounts > Expenses. I go to Transactions, and choose a category. But the auto feature doesn't appear.

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@GodAtum The option for auto-categorization will appear on the Transactions Page when a transaction that has been imported by bank connection is categorized manually for the first time. Once you manually categorize it once, the option should appear as a notice on the Transactions screen. It sounds as though you are looking for the option in the Chart of Accounts which is why you may not be seeing the option.