BUG: Wave creates duplicate payment when recording a payment to a Bill

chriswaygchriswayg Member Posts: 17

STEPS to reproduce:

1. Record a full payment to a bill from this page:

https://accounting.waveapps.com/bills/.../

2. Open the bill and it will show two payments.

https://accounting.waveapps.com/bills/..../edit/.../

3. This happened twice in two days, but does not happen every time. I suspect, that your background processing does not handle packet loss very well. We had 10% packet loss, when these bugs showed up.

4. Expected behavior: The system should recognize, that two identical payments within the same second cannot be valid. It should correct for packet loss or other possible interference in a transnational manner.

Comments

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @chriswayg. We haven't had any reported issues of bill payments being duplicated after the payments have been recorded in full (this hasn't happened on a few bills that I've just record payments to in my test account). It sounds like it might be network related on your end? (as you are mentioning packet loss), Nonetheless, I appreciate you reporting this to us. If you notice that you are getting more duplicates based on recording the payments, let us know so we can investigate further.

• chriswaygchriswayg Member Posts: 17

I just posted another bug report about this with more detail, as you still have not fixed it, but my new post seems to be stuck in a moderator's cue. This bug happens with or without packet loss and it is easy to reproduce. I can now reproduce it almost 100% of the time.

For your users, Wave is not as responsive as it appears to your software testers. Maybe you need to put in some more realistic tests using a VPN from different places in the world.

Here is a test I just did, which shows the same transaction 6[!] times from only one form submission.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @chriswayg . Please send me a direct message and we can dig into this further for you. Thanks!

I also sent you a PM with this bug report. Somehow the following text was blocked by your system. Why do some posts never show up?

When I record a payment to a bill, it now creates a duplicate payment almost every time. I had to recheck payments recorded since July 2019 and found multiple duplicate entries which were automatically created by Wave.

I suspect, that it is because of the comparatively unresponsive interface of Wave which takes a long time to acknowledge a successful entry. We have greater delays, than your software system might be expecting.

I have tested double clicking and multiple clicking on the 'Save' button in the 'Record a manual payment' form, which will trigger the bug almost every time.

This multiple submission bug does not occur on the 'Record a payment for this invoice' form, which is very similar, but the 'Submit' button is actually properly programmed, not allowing multiple clicks to register as multiple form submissions.

Please fix this bug, as it really messes with our accounting. It even registered a payment of about US$30,000.00 twice, which is easy to spot, though. Not so easy to spot, when the payments look more likely to have been made with multiple small payments.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @chriswayg

I apologize you're experiencing this issue! I would highly recommend for bug issues like this you reach out via a support ticket. Doing this gives our team much more insight into your account and if you permit the agent's access into your account as a collaborator, they will be able to provide a much clearer picture of what might be happening. You can file a ticket here:

https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Once again I apologize that you're experiencing this issue, but one of our agents will be happy to decipher whether this is in fact a bug or not. Thanks for reaching out.

@BarsinA - It is in fact a bug ;) - and I sent it again as a ticket. You should have a public issue tracker like Github. What comes across to me in these interactions (not just on this issue) is, that you're trying to convince your customers, that every reported issue is not a bug, but "You're Holding It Wrong (TM)".

When I report a bug on Github, I usually observe that things are fixed. Here, I'm not so sure.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @chriswayg

Glad you filed a ticket and discovered this bug! Hopefully one of our developers will get it sorted out for your asap.

Well, it still happens in two business files and there is no easy workaround. I'm about as likely to get a duplicate entry, as to get a correct entry. I have to reopen every bill after making a payment to check that there is not duplicate payment recorded.

The ping to waveapps.com is actually surprisingly good from here (25 ms), so the sluggish response of the UI must be related to your servers and programming. In FF developer tools, the Network tab shows, that some page elements have a waiting time of 25 ms, others of 220 ms, but some json elements have a waiting time of 1200[!] ms

Firefox 69.0.1 macOS

So I received this response from AlexL: "I've let the product team know about this. They've let me know that they don't have an ETA on the fix, but they thank you for bringing it up and they'll take a further look. Sorry that I'm unable to provide you with an ETA on this."

Some observations regarding this process:

• bug reports tend to be initially denied and declared as user error
    • even minor feature requests have been stuck for over two years and are eventually rejected
    • I have been referred from Community to filing a ticket to PM, but the result is less than satisfactory
    • the ticket has been acknowledged by an auto-reply, but no ticket number has been assigned
    • after replying to the ticket with the requested additional information, the ticket was not answered any more

Conclusion

• it is basically useless to file a bug report or to make a feature request
    • My ETA for this bug fix is 24 months - "Change my mind!"
  • UHRP3UHRP3 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi @BarsinA @AlexL

This happens when you press the Save button twice in the option Record payment. I have experienced it.

edited October 7, 2019

@BarsinA @AlexL Another problem occurred after deleting the duplicate (test) entries today. They were deleted from the Bill, but continue to show up in the Transactions record. This causes me to doubt, if Wave is still trustworthy as an accounting software.

• Who can explain that the deleted duplicate transactions still show up?

• The payments are not shown under the bill:

• But are seen in the Report

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @UHRP3 . To reiterate what I said to @chriswayg , I've informed the product team and they've let me know they'll be looking into it but that we don't have a current ETA. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

@chriswayg You bring up another good reason that this needs resolution. Until it is resolved, you can delete the transactions which will bring your accounting to where it needs to be.