Tax deduction at source

MohsinMohsin Member Posts: 1

Hi there,

How would I adjust tax deduction at source, deducted by my Customer in my ledger?

For example, I have a customer called ACME Inc.
I've invoiced them $100 and they have paid me $96. The rest of my payment was deducted by ACME Inc. to be paid to the tax man.
Now when I go to record payment, I could logically, mark $96, now I would like the $4 to be added to our Tax Asset against the customer.

Feel free to ask an question, if I'm not clear about my scenario.

Thanks,
Mohsin

Comments

• ashash Member Posts: 1

I am facing the same problem, myself. The balance shows up as overdue payment on the invoice which makes the dashboard a mess to manage.

Is there a solution?

• Tungsten_BondTungsten_Bond Member Posts: 5

I think one of them folks in the chat would be able to suggest how you guys can sort this out.

• MuhammadMuhammad Member Posts: 1

I would be interested to see how we can sort this one out in Wave.

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone! (pinging @Mohsin @ash @Tungsten_Bond @Muhammad)

There are a few steps involved, but that taxes deducted at source is something that can be accounted for in Wave. Here's how you do it.

Adding a "Taxes deducted at source" payment account

• Click on Chart of Accounts, under Accounting
    • Click on Add an account
    • Under the Asset tab, choose Bank & Cash
    • Name the account TDS

Entering the income for the received payment

• On the invoice page, click on the Record a payment button, on the right of your invoice.
    • Enter the payment received (following @Mohsin's example, $96), and choose the bank account where that was deposited.

Entering the tax deduction as source

• On the invoice page, record another payment to your partially paid invoice.
    • Enter the amount of taxes deducted at source (here, $4) and choose TDS as your payment account.

I will give this a go.

Cheers, Alexia! :)

Just to confirm this approach works.

Cheers, Alexia. :)

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Happy to hear that, @Tungsten_Bond!

• MetalheadMetalhead Member Posts: 1

Hi,

If that is the case for tax deduction when I send the Invoice.
    What would be the process for tax deduction when I make payment for the Invoice? Is it to record under liabilities?
    Tx

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @Metalhead, depending on when you remit taxes, you could assign tax you owe to a Tax Liability account in Wave. This will help you track what is owed as well. The tax payments themselves can be recorded as tax expense transactions.