Options

Split a CC payment across invoices?

ObiObi Member Posts: 2

Hi! Can I do this? A customer has two outstanding invoices, but makes one credit card payment. How can I split this to the two separate invoices?

Comments

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @Obi. Just to confirm here -- have they made the payment via our processing? That could make things a little more complicated since the invoice payment transaction on the transactions page cannot be deleted. However, what you can do is find the deposit transaction in Wave (for the actual payment), split that particular transaction into two separate totals (for the individual invoices) and categorize those payments as 'payment received for invoice' and select the corresponding one. Let us know if you have any further questions regarding this!

• Options
    ObiObi Member Posts: 2

Thanks, yes it was a "Payments by Wave". When you say "find the deposit transaction", where to look? Under Accounting > Transactions I only see the invoice payment which is not editable.

• Options
    ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @Obi, thanks for getting back to us! What Jamie means by the deposit transaction is the transaction that would have been imported from your bank connection. The trouble here is that Wave has already created an invoice payment transaction, which cannot be edited. I'm guessing that one of the invoices is marked as paid and the other is unpaid or overdue?

The only solution here really is to either;
    1. Refund the payment back to your client and have them pay both invoices separately.
    2. Change the amount on the Paid invoice to the total amount that was paid (the amount of the 2 invoices) and delete the unpaid invoice/change the amount on that one to $0.

Please let me know if you have any questions.