Can't allocate payments to bills

KeyCalcKeyCalc Member Posts: 1

I am currently unable to allocate payments to bills through the bank?
Logged out, logged back in, refreshed data and still the bills aren't available when I want to allocate through my bank account.

Comments

• CedarHeightsCedarHeights Member Posts: 15

Wave have stopped that and when we queried it they said something daft like you have to delete the payment, go onto the invoice and add a payment on there. When I pointed out the obvious lack of audit trail issue here, I was basically told I was an idiot. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @KeyCalc . Sorry for the late response here, it looks like your post may have slipped through the cracks, sorry for that! Are you trying to allocate payments to Bills through the transaction itself? If so, this can be done in the transaction categorization by selecting "Payment sent for a Bill in Wave" and then selecting the appropriate Bill. You can't allocate a payment to a Bill which already has a payment, so your Bill will only appear in this list if it's unpaid.

@CedarHeights Would you mind giving me some more info on your workflow for Bills? Are you marking your Bills as paid as soon as you pay them, thus having you to delete the payment and re-apply it later on? Let me know and we can further this discussion some more.

• JamesWattonJamesWatton Member Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm unable to allocate any transaction payments to any bills. This is the same issue as mentioned here: https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/comment/23815#Comment_23815

I tried creating a brand new bill, go to the transactions screen and selected "Payment sent for a Bill in Wave" but no bills appear in the list to select it. This is 100% broken.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @JamesWatton! Thanks for reaching out. I've merged your post with this discussion so that we can keep all of our discussion with this matter in one place. With regards to what you're seeing, can you take a screenshot of that for me? Would love to see what's happening here. Also, as far as that bill goes, can we be sure that the bill itself is still marked as 'unpaid' within that list?

Please see the two attached screenshots. I have several unpaid bills showing. I have also tried with a brand new unpaid bill but I still get no results in the transactions page.

Hope this helps, I'd like to get this sorted ASAP as this is becoming a big problem for me.

@AlexL Hi. I have been through this with someone but they weren't much help to be honest. We pull through our bank transactions and apply them to invoices. Apparently we can no longer do that. I'm told we have to delete the bank transaction, go into the invoice and create another payment in the invoice screen to match what was on the bank transaction. Which basically renders the pulling through of the bank transactions pointless and gives me great concern on the audit front.

@JamesWatton The reason you can't associate them is because your bills are in different currencies than the payment itself. The payment is in Pounds and your bills are Euros/USD. To solve this, recreate the bill in the amount in Pounds, which will allow you to attach the payment transaction.

@CedarHeights You can definitely still attach transactions to bills, although the exception to this would be foreign currencies. Is either your bill or the transaction in a different currency than your business?

edited October 28, 2019
    @AlexL The business was set up as BGN in error and we were never able to change it despite having no BGN transactions. It was never an issue before the update.
    @AlexL For clarity the invoice is in GBP and so is the payment.

@AlexL SO it turns out that it is because the bill is in Euros and the payment is in GBP.

However this worked fine before a recent update. This new change makes no sense!

I purchase goods from Europe. The bill is input in Euros, and it then shows the exchange rate and total in GBP on the bill.

I can then use the "Record a payment" on the bill screen to pay the bill. This method does not allow me to edit the description of a payment, so my transactions screen will be filled with uninformative "Bill payment" entries.

Not a great workflow if you ask me..

edited October 28, 2019

@CedarHeights I'm afraid that with the update went the ability to assign different currency payments to bills. In general, I'd highly recommend re-setting up your business in the proper currency, as this may cause some issues down the road.

@JamesWatton I'd recommend you recreate the Bill in GBP in the amount that was paid, that way you can assign the payment to the bill directly.

Hi @AlexL If I do that I'll lose 4 years of data on over 150 accounts. I set up another company the other day to slowly transition on to but on that one I'm being told statements are 'coming soon' whereas on Cedar Heights, we've been using them for years. It's very confusing. I've posted a query on the community but I've had no response. I'm setting up Quickbooks just incase, as the business can't function without customer statements.

@AlexL That is a poor workaround when my invoices can have many items on them, I now have to manually calculate the value of each individual item, taking into account different tax rates and currency conversions? I might as well just move everything into excel..

Why was this feature removed in the first place? It seems like a huge step backwards from my point of view. I appreciate that this site is (mostly) free and applaud that, but what is the genuine reason for this regression?

It clearly still works in a roundabout way as if I "record a payment" from the bills screen, it will allocate it in the currency of the bill, but show in GBP on the transactions page.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

@CedarHeights I'm thinking that this post from Jordan might help with this: https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/comment/23604#Comment_23604

@JamesWatton I'm sorry that you've been seeing friction with the migration as far as customer statements are concerned. I've just had a chat with some of my invoicing teams, and this is something that we do plan on implementing and allowing you to do in Wave, however it is not built yet. You can add a payment directly on the invoice or bill, then merge with the bank transaction if you are worried about an audit trail. I realize that's not ideal for the time being, but it's your best option for now.

@ConnorM thanks for the reply but I'm not using customer statements (my apologies, I used the term invoices in an earlier post instead of bills, being from the UK!). My issue is just for allocating transactions to bills (Purchases -> Bills) on the transactions screen (Accounting -> Transactions). It was working perfectly fine back in June so it was already built into the software.
    edited November 1, 2019

Sorry @JamesWatton , just to clarify, Connor's advice above still applies to Bills. We plan on building this out in the new version of Wave, but it just hasn't been implemented yet. No particular reason as to why it's not available at the moment.