How do you account for Sales Tax when not invoicing

DunxDunx Member Posts: 7

I primarily sell tickets online, which includes a GST component.
Sales are completed on a ticketing platform, which provides invoices and funds are then paid to my bank. I cant figure out how to account for the GST collected on these sales as creating invoices in Wave for each sale duplicates the revenue.
I want to create/journal a GST liability which will also accrue against the GST I have paid on purchases.

I hope this is clear? Any advice appreciated

edited September 27, 2019 in Accounting Technical Support

Comments

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @Dunx! Welcome to the Wave community! First of all, have you created the GST sales tax in your Wave account? You can do this under: Settings > Sales Tax. Once you have created the tax, you can apply it to transactions from your transaction page. You can do this by opening up the transaction and clicking 'Include sales tax'. You can select one or multiple taxes you have added to apply to the transaction and then 'Save'. This will apply the appropriate tax to your sales transaction and ensure it is accounted for. You can also check out this Wave guide on the topic - Adding sales taxes :)

• DunxDunx Member Posts: 7

Thanks @EmmaP - so simple....

Before I saw your reply, I ended up setting up an invoice and linking the payments against it which achieved the same goal. This actually worked a little better in my instance as I could then record the actual sales numbers (tickets sold) as well.