Options

Wave Connect Import for update to Products and Customers

jetthrusteramericajetthrusteramerica Member Posts: 8

I've used Wave Connect successfully, and would like to now update existing items in Products & Services. Currently, an attempt to re-upload existing product names with new details or prices results in "duplicate item(s) will be skipped" message.

Is there a method, tag, or data format that will allow the update of existing entries using the upload feature?

If not, I'd like to request that feature be added to dev list, either as a separate "update" menu, or possibly as a scan for existing items on upload, resulting in an update query on first pass, prior to insert of new items.

Same methodology could be applied to Customers, Accounts, etc.

Many thanks for a great product!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@jetthrusteramerica Did you try testing out the import after you made the edits? My thoughts are that it should work as expected.. since they have different details, they won't actually be skipped. Let me know what happens when you try this.

• Options

Thank you for the reply Jamie.

I've confirmed that the update does not occur. The steps I followed were:

-Download 'products' using Wave Connect
    -Modify Price, Description, or Account
    -Prepare and Input Sheet in fresh Google Sheet
    -Populate Input Sheet with copies of cells from Modified List
    -'Step2: Validate' reports ERROR: A Product with this name exists in Wave. This record will be skipped.
    -Continuing with upload- 'Step3: Upload Data' reports SKIPPED: Unable to upload Product
    ERROR: A Product with this name existed in Wave. Unable to upload.

I attempted to change description, price, and income account in combination and individually. In all cases, the error was reported, and records in question were not updated.

Editing product name will create a new record, but of course is essentially adding new product.

• Options
    JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@jetthrusteramerica Thanks for providing your workflow for us here! Wave Connect was created to upload or download information, which means that currently, making edits to a product or service within the Google Sheet is not actually supported yet. In saying that you can update the product or service from within Wave in the Sales > Products and Services section directly.

If you were looking to update the information through Wave Connect, you would need to delete the product from your Wave account and then make the changes before using Wave Connect to add a new product with the edits.

• Options

Thanks Jordan, as assumed, was just reporting results to Jamie.

• Options
    Pigeonwishes_LtdPigeonwishes_Ltd Member Posts: 4

@JordanD said:
    @jetthrusteramerica Thanks for providing your workflow for us here! Wave Connect was created to upload or download information, which means that currently, making edits to a product or service within the Google Sheet is not actually supported yet. In saying that you can update the product or service from within Wave in the Sales > Products and Services section directly.

If you were looking to update the information through Wave Connect, you would need to delete the product from your Wave account and then make the changes before using Wave Connect to add a new product with the edits.

@Jordan,

1. You can not delete the old data when it is linked to an invoice. Do you have a solution for this? We have sent the invoice to the customer, we cant delete these in the system as it will result the wrong profit and loss report.
  • Options
    CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hey @Pigeonwishes_Ltd , thanks for your message! As you've discovered there, that's correct: you can't delete items which are currently associated with an invoice. This helps to ensure that past reporting remains accurate with your old invoices. In this case, I would recommend creating a new item and using it from now on. If you don't need the past invoices/items to be as they were previously, you can head into each invoice and delete the items from the invoices if you would prefer, and then head back to Sales > Products & Services to delete the items for good. Note: If an invoice was paid using Wave Payments, the items won't be able to be deleted or edited from the invoice as they will be associated with real funds moving, and therefore an accurate record of what was purchased is required. Thanks!