Wells Fargo Account Not Supported Error

JLook7JLook7 Member Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm having trouble connecting my Wells Fargo accounts to Wave. I can access my account fine. After entering my credentials and then the 2-step verification code sent by text, I get the following error:

Comments

• JLook7JLook7 Member Posts: 3

After speaking with Wells Fargo tech support, they suggested I disable 2-step verification on my Wells Fargo account. After doing so, I can now connect the accounts. HOWEVER, I've re-enabled 2-step verification on my Wells Fargo account and I'm not sure if this will cause problems in the future with Wave imports.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @JLook7 . It looks like our data aggregator who runs our bank connections doesn't support the MFA that Wells Fargo uses called 'enhanced sign on.' I think that re-enabling it will prevent transaction import but I can't say 100%. I'd love if you could share this info with us when you find out.

• JLook7JLook7 Member Posts: 3
    @AlexL Looks like I just got this email about a broken connection a day after re-enabling 2-factor authentication at Wells Fargo: "Your account connection isn’t working right now
    We're having trouble connecting to Wells Fargo, which is preventing Wave from importing your transactions."

Is this something that can be fixed on Wave's side?

@JLook7 As I mentioned above, we use a data aggregator to run these connections and although they support most MFA's, some banks have very specific ones which are unsupported. This seems like it's one of them, which means that until our data aggregator builds out this function, you do have to permanently disable the MFA to have it pull in transactions.

• vipervinvipervin Member Posts: 1

Yep, I have the same problem with WF and 2FA. Connection works with Quickbooks Online but trying to switch over to Wave!

• QEMQEM Member Posts: 1

Alex - What is the expected availability for MFA on WellsFargo accounts? Has this issue been submitted to the aggregator for correction?

@QEM Our aggregator is aware of the issue but we don't have an ETA on an implementation I'm afraid. At the moment, the solution is to disable your MFA while connecting.

• ZiggyZiggy Member Posts: 2

I just wanted to put my two cents in that I, too, would like to have that feature. I'm brand new to Wave (switching from Quickbooks) and was quite surprised to discover that I could not connect my Wells Fargo account. I'm also hesitant to disable 2 part authentication for obvious reasons. Are you suggesting that we disable it at intervals in order to upload bank activity to Wave, then re-enable it until we need to upload more bank activity? Thanks.

• chriscochrisco Member Posts: 2

Any update on this? I am entering my correct password, being prompted to enter my 2FA code, and then being told my login was incorrect. I verified that I could directly connect to WF though.

Given that it is not prompting for 2FA, I feel like there have been updates not disclosed here. What say you, @AlexL?

Update: This seems to be supported now, but took me three attempts to complete.

Thanks,

PS. Is there an error in this form / markdown that is causing it to eat paragraph spacing?
    Edit: It was just the preview pane that has the spacing bug.

edited April 3, 2020
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @chrisco

Our plaid login portal only supports MFA but no 2FA at this time. You will need to disable it within your bank's settings in order for it to login to Wave typically. Note that I'm only recommending you proceed to do this at your own caution. Thanks for understanding!

• chriscochrisco Member Posts: 2

Per my update above, I was able to log in with 2FA, but it took me three attempts. It appears that something was added / updated / changed, but no memo was sent.

• dhirenpauldhirenpaul Member Posts: 1
    I was unable to connect to Capital One. Says Capital one has changed policy. Is there a workaround?
  • landinamericalandinamerica Member Posts: 4

sine 4 months, every time I try to connect to Wells Fargo account, I receive the error message
    your account is temporarily locked..
    Have spoken with Wells Fargo and got the confirmation that my account is NOT locked.

Hi @landinamerica , can you send us a screenshot of this error message please? Thanks!

• landinamericalandinamerica Member Posts: 4

Hi Alex:

Thank you for ypur reply.

Wells confirmed that our account is NOT locked.

As you can see on the second pic Wells use captcha verification.

your wells sig-in page:

As a test, I have signed up with zip Books
    and had no problem connecting our wells account
    ( see attached)
    ZipBoks has the bank sign-in page with captcha verification,
    that's why the connection functions and does not give an error.

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @landinamerica , thanks for getting back! In this case, I see that you submitted a Support ticket to get this looked at, and the Support team responded asking for some more information. I would recommend continuing to get assistance on that ticket since this can be an ongoing issue, and can require some personal data we don't recommend sharing in a public forum for your security. If you no longer have that ticket in your inbox, I would recommend beginning a new ticket, and a dedicated Support agent will be able to help you with your unique account. Thanks so much!

• DigiliteDigilite Member Posts: 1

Any update on this?

• surfinashwavesurfinashwave Member Posts: 2

Looks like there have been many, many users and posts on Well Fargo MFA. Unfortunately, the Wave team's response has been "send us your email and we will contact you". There seems to be no real effort from Wave to address the issue though.

Wells Fargo is one of the top-3 banks in the US, and the fact that Wave has been unable to address the MFA issue with them for over two years now tells me that not all is well at Wave at an organization level (2020/Covid impact forcing them to shut-down/massive lay offs perhaps?).

Had I known of this issue before, I would have switched over to ZipBooks or some other software. Sorry for my harsh remarks - and nothing personal here. While your support team is trying to mitigate fires on the community portal, looks like the development team is in a "sleepy Joe" state - unaware, clueless, and lethargic to common man problems.