2 accounting entries from one payment - help

robRrobR Member Posts: 2

I send an Invoice to my customer and they pay me through direct deposit. When they pay me there is an input in the accounting section of money received say $500. Then when i go to mark the invoice as paid, i get another entry in my accounting as another $500 received. Am i not accepting the invoice correctly? or is there some way to resolve this automatically?

Thank You

Comments

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @robR . Just to confirm, your customer is paying you outside of Wave, and not through the actual invoice, correct? If this is the case, it sounds like your bank import is importing in a transaction when it hits your bank, and then you're also marking the invoice as paid, thus creating a secondary transaction.

The best way to handle this moving forward would be to take the bank imported transaction and assign it to the unpaid invoice, thus marking it as paid. To do so, categorize the transaction as "Payment received for an invoice in Wave" and select the unpaid invoice. This should associate the transaction to the invoice without creating a secondary transaction.