Attaching a customer to a Journal transaction

ChrsfrncsChrsfrncs Member Posts: 3

Some of my sales are via a subscription service. Here's how I would like to account for this and maybe someone can help me figure out how to do it in Wave.
I would like to record sales of subscriptions as Unearned Revenue and then journal it over to sales as product is delivered (preferably monthly, since my business is seasonal and I'd like to be able to see how much I'm really earning each month).
This is quite easy, but it becomes complicated when I want to attach individual customers to the subscriptions because I can't see how to attach the customer to the journal transaction. As a result, when I run the report of income by customer, none of this revenue shows up because the subscription customers were all recorded as unearned revenue and I was unable to tell Wave to tie sales to them as well.

Is there some other way I should be doing this? Some of them also buy outside of the subscription, and I'd like to be able to see all sales to that customer in one place.

Comments

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @Chrsfrncs , the way that invoices work already is that when an invoice is created, it automatically records it as money which is owed to you, the business owner. This means that you don't have to mark an invoice as paid to know that you made money. Does this method not work for you?

In regards to the way Wave works, Customer payments and owed money only show up based on who an invoice is sent to. There's absolutely no way to tag a customer to a Journal Transaction - or even a regular transaction and have their information show up in the Income by Customer Report, so I'm afraid the way you're looking to accomplish it just wouldn't work.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @Chrsfrncs

I've moved your question to the accounting thread as you might find it more useful for this kind of accounting advice.

You're correct when you say you cannot attach a customer to a journal entry as it's simply meant to be a movement of funds from one account to another.

In theory what you could do is create separate accounts for your subscribers and name it after them. Then move the funds using a journal transaction into those accounts named after your clients. I understand that this is not the ideal method, however our system doesn't allow you to do this as it's meant to give you a real time update of your accounting. Perhaps someone else might be able to chime in with some advice.