Bug: auto-categorization uses archived expense accounts

LisannaLisanna Member Posts: 3

I've noticed that new transactions imported from my banks will sometimes get auto-categorized with an expense account even though I've set it to Archived / Prevent further usage. For example, I recently had a transaction for Frontier Internet, and it categorized it as "Computer - Internet" expense, even though I have had that expense account set to archived.

Comments

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Lisanna! Thanks for reaching out here, that's definitely an odd one! If you could, I'd love to see a screenshot of that account showing as Archived in your Chart of Accounts, as well as a screenshot of what that auto-categorized transaction looks like! Would love to break this down with you.

• SBenoitSBenoit Member Posts: 48 ✭✭

This happens all the time with several of my clients in Wave, quite frustrating. It also happens with the "Computer - Internet" category. It's definitely an indication that even if you archive an account with no transactions (where it will get removed from your Chart of Accounts), it's still hanging around somewhere out in the Wave storage cellar...

Here's a current example:

On second thought... I know this auto-categorization feature isn't perfect, and could use a lot of work... so in the meantime, wouldn't it be great if there was an option somewhere in Settings to completely turn off this 'feature'? I'd much rather have all imported transactions as 100% uncategorized than going through the list trying to guess whether the client picked a category or if Wave did.

• LisannaLisanna Member Posts: 3

Here's a very recent example from my accounts:

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @SBenoit! Thanks for providing this insight, this will be useful for our team to reference when looking into this issue! I'd also be happy to pass along your feedback on having the ability to turn 'off' auto-categorization so you have the option to choose.

Hey @Lisanna! Thanks for getting back to us with that example! We'll follow up here once we are able to look into this further.

Hi @SBenoit & @Lisanna! Are you both able to confirm or send me a DM with the name of your businesses that this is happening in? This will aid our teams investigation. Thanks!

edited February 20, 2020

Hi @Lisanna & @SBenoit! Our team have let me know that they have fixed a few bugs with this feature on your accounts so you should be good to go now :)

Awesome! I did notice over the last few days that it's no longer picking ghost accounts :)

Hi Emma, looks like it's still happening to my clients, here are two separate examples:

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @SBenoit , can you paste the URL to the page of the business where this is happening? This contains a unique business ID that we can use to identify if the problem has been fixed.

Let me know!

No problem! Link

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @SBenoit! Good news: this should be fixed now! Can you try recategorizing these transactions now?

Thanks for the update Connor; I've recategorized them. I'll update you fine folks if I see it happen again :)

Take care.