No bank feeds + Stripe - how to avoid double recording

CavCav Member Posts: 5

Hoping someone can explain how this works in Wave (I am doing the books for our local scouts group, so all assistance is appreciated)
1. All fees come through via Stripe. With no bank feeds, I have to manually upload bank statements and Stripe statement, which is fine. How do I avoid double recording the income? Obviously the bank statement has lump sums from Stripe, but we also have other income, like fundraising money that will be in the bank account, so do I have to manually go through and choose which lines to upload?
2. When receiving money from stripe, it comes through in a lump sum. That may consist of fees or activities money. We have made sure I can identify which is which when exporting the stripe transactions, but do I need to go through line by line and allocate the $$ or is it easier to just do a journal entry?
3. We have an income account for each group (Joeys/Cubs/Scouts etc) and they can spend this money as they need it. When I pay out (reimburse) a receipt, I have to mark it as being paid from the bank account - how do I journal that it actually needs to come from the group funds. I'm used to having an income and expense account that work together (eg, when I spend money from x account, it reduces the balance in the Y bank account), so I'm just fumbling along at the moment, but need to get an accurate reflection of our funds.
Hopefully my questions make sense!
Cheers

Comments

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Cav!

Wave doesn't automatically account for taxes in Stripe's fees. Since you're in a region where Stripe charges tax on the processing fee, you'll need to add this manually using a Journal Transaction. To open this function, click on More > Add journal transaction in the upper right-hand corner of the Transactions page.

If the tax you're recording is recoverable, the Journal Transaction should look like this:

Dr Sales Tax Paid Account for the amount of the tax
    Cr Payments by Wave clearing account for the amount of the tax

If the tax is not recoverable, the Journal Transaction should look like this:

Dr Merchant/Stripe Fee Account for the amount of the tax
    Cr Payments by Wave clearing account for the amount of the tax

Then, if you have your bank account set to automatically import to Wave, make sure to categorize the incoming deposit as a transfer from the Payments by Wave account.

One last thing to note - if the tax you're paying is recoverable, make sure to add this detail to the notes of the Journal Transaction for your records. You'll also want to use the account transactions report for this Sales Tax, found by going to Reports > Account Transactions report, when filing. Because this tax has been entered manually using a Journal Transaction, it won't appear on the Sales Tax report as other transactions do.