Assigning bills to invoices

AdamhAdamh Member Posts: 3

We are a travel company and when we invoice a holiday we need to assign our suppliers invoices to the clients invoice so that we can track the outgoing bill payments for that invoice. We can then ensure suppliers haven't billed us twice.

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Adamh

I may need a slightly more thorough use-case example of what you're looking to do here. Currently there is no way to assign a vendors invoice to your clients invoice. But if you could kindly clarify what you're looking to do we may be able to give you some more advice. Thanks

• VickiCVickiC Member Posts: 2

Hello, it would be really great if I could add an expense to an invoice. While I know I can track reimbursed expenses in an income account, this is not helpful for what I want to achieve. I'm looking for a solution that can track reimbursed expenses in an expense account. This example: we pay merchant service fees to our bank for credit card transactions. I have an expense account set up for this. Our customers then reimburse us for a percentage of the same. I want to add a line item to our invoice to charge the customer, but I want it to report in our expense account. Thus both the expense and income will offset each other and leave the true balance of what we are actually paying in merchant service fees. How can I do this please?

• AdamhAdamh Member Posts: 3
    Hi Barsin,

Thanks for your post, basically here’s a senario.

I have an invoice I’ve raised for £6000 that’s built up of three different items each from a different supplier.

Supplier 1 - British airways £2000
    Supplier 2 - Hilton hotels £3900
    Supplier 3 - Airport taxi £100

When I add a bill it would be great if I can allocate that bill to an invoice. So that when I go to the invoice there could be another field that shows me invoices assigned to it from it’s income.

That way I can see 1) My profit for that specific invoice 2) See the bills associated to it to Ensure I don’t pay the same supplier twice.

It would also be of great use to have a remarks field next to the sale invoice that we could write remarks in that wouldn’t appear on the invoice just for our reference.
  • AdamhAdamh Member Posts: 3
    Dear Barsin,

Apologies in my senario I forgot to leave a profit which in the case above would have been zero. But a profit field would be great within the sales invoice screen.

Thanks
    Adam
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey their @VickiC

Unfortunately adding an expense to an invoice is not possible. But you can create an income account called for a separate item called "credit card fees" then when you process the transaction, create a journal transaction debiting that income account and crediting the expense account you created previously. Hope this workaround helps.

@Adamh
    Thanks for the additional context and use case scenario. I appreciate this feedback. The only thing I can think of is similarly to create journal transactions to debit expense accounts and forgoing the bill entirely. However I know this is not the ideal as a workaround.

• bxeincbxeinc Member Posts: 4

This seems like something easy to do and a basic accounting feature. When creating a bill, I want to assign it to a customer or invoice. Waveapps... just make add a drop down box to assign to a customer to the bill.