All transactions duplicated, all accounts, via data export.

bushmillerbushmiller Member Posts: 3

I exported all my data via settings: data export. The accounting.csv has two of every transaction, from all accounts. Transaction ID numbers in first column are entered twice for every transaction.

Account names, third column, are not duplicated, they're different. For duplicate transaction entries, one account name will be bank account (ie, Chase Visa), and the other will be an expense category (office supplies).

I don't see duplicate transactions when viewing from transactions page.

Would appreciate any advice to lose the duplicates. Also, I'd prefer to make export from the transactions page, which I believe used to be possible, but that can't be done, right?

edited April 29, 2020 in Accounting Technical Support

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @bushmiller

This is an unprecedented error that I haven't seen in the Wave community before. Does this happen every time you download the data export? Have you tried this multiple times?

The mechanics behind how transactions get posted is usually as follows:

1. You make a purchase on your credit card
    2. You credit card posts a "pending transaction".
    3. In Wave you might see this imported, or it may just be in the back end.
    4. Once the transaction has officially posted, the pending one should delete and is replaced by the posted transaction.

I'm curious if what you're seeing is both pending and posted in your data export?

Would you mind sharing a screenshot blocking out any important PII so we can get a better sense of what you might be seeing?

• bushmillerbushmiller Member Posts: 3

"Does this happen every time you download the data export? Have you tried this multiple times?"

It's happened at least 3 or 4 times; has happened every time so far. Just downloaded again, and dupes still showing for every transaction.

Screenshot attached.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @bushmiller , this is a result of the double-entry accounting that Wave does and is in fact expected behaviour. Your AMZN Mktp transaction for example occurred on your Amazon Visa card but was categorized to "Office Supplies" thus showing both as activity in the Data Export.

You can't export from the transactions page anymore, but you can export from Reports > Accounts Transactions (General Ledger) which is similar to what you'd be looking for in the Transactions page.

• bushmillerbushmiller Member Posts: 3

OK, thanks for the help.

• NomNom Member Posts: 2

@AlexL said:
    Hi @bushmiller , this is a result of the double-entry accounting that Wave does and is in fact expected behaviour. Your AMZN Mktp transaction for example occurred on your Amazon Visa card but was categorized to "Office Supplies" thus showing both as activity in the Data Export.

You can't export from the transactions page anymore, but you can export from Reports > Accounts Transactions (General Ledger) which is similar to what you'd be looking for in the Transactions page.

So I tried doing this. The cvs exported ends up not recognisable by Wave when I try to import the data back to Wave on another acct! When I opened the csv in xls for a look, there are all kinds of "errors", and everything in columns are displayed in just the first column. I don't know how to solve this.

Frustrated, stuck here for two days.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Nom! Just to be clear here, did you try to export your Wave data to a CSV and then immediately import it back into Wave? I'm just trying to figure your workflow out that had lead to you seeing these screens.