Options

Zapier Shopify integration trouble

keepbkkeepbk Member Posts: 17

I've set up a zap to import transactions for paid purchases through shopify.
I'm having issues with the payment processing fee field. I can't seem to figure out the appropriate field to have the processing fee show up correctly in transactions. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    KaewenKaewen Member Posts: 5

Hi. I came across an interesting issue a few days ago.

Zapier would import my transactions from Shopify to Wave. And this has been working well for the past 2 years. Suddenly a few days ago, all my zaps gave errors.

After some troubleshooting, i found out that Zapier wasn't able to retrieve my fields from wave, like which account and catagory the sale is for.

I was able to do this one my other company accounts linked to the same Wave login.

Anyone have any ideas?

edited April 10, 2020
  • Options
    KaewenKaewen Member Posts: 5

Anyone facing this issue or know where I can get support from Wave?
    I've contacted Zapier and they said the issue is coming from Wave side. :(

edited April 22, 2020
  • Options
    RobVGRobVG Member Posts: 53 admin

Hi @Kaewen,

We have made a change on our side that should rectify the issue you were experiencing. Can you try again and let me know how that goes? Thanks :smiley:

• Options
    PaulCPaulC Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Hi @keepbk,

Sorry to hear you've been having problems with Zapier. The setup can be quite fiddly - were you using the pre-built "Zap" for this, or trying to configure for yourself?

As an alternative, you might like to try Wave's new Shopify App, which will bookkeep paid orders (+ refunds and Payouts) without needing Zapier in the middle.

Hope that helps, Paul

Important Note for anyone reading this outside the United States: Wave's Shopify App is only compatible with Shopify stores located in the United States. If you are looking to integrate your Shopify store located in another country, Zapier remains an option, or you might try a third-party Shopify App such as Sync to Wave.

• Options

Hi @PaulC

Thanks for the response. I was trying to configure it myself, as the pre-built app does not work for Shopify accounts without an "online store". We use shopify for buy buttons on our website only. Is there a pre-built integration for this scenario I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

• Options

Hi @keepbk,

Thanks for clarifying. That will be a problem for the Shopify App integration also, as it also is designed for online stores.

Honestly, the simplest way to take payments from your website and have them account automatically in Wave would be to use Wave Checkouts, which are designed specifically for this purpose.

If you do want to continue doing this with Zapier, I would suggest you talk first to Shopify support to find out how the payment processing fee is represented in their Paid Order trigger. Once you know that, we can certainly help if you continue to have a challenge getting that data into Wave.

Hope that helps, Paul

• Options
    Hi @PaulC
    Ok, makes sense. I tried checkouts, but need variants and sales tax capability. So far, I’ve been adding in purchases manually, which is not difficult. I will do as you suggest and contact Shopify to see what information they can offer. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options

Ah. Sorry that Checkouts didn't meet your needs @keepbk .

As a better alternative than manually entering your transactions, if you read through the explanation of how Wave's Shopify app bookkeeps transactions in our help center article for the Shopify App, you could probably use this as a model to do a good chunk of your record-keeping with Zapier. I'm thinking:

1. Record sales (Zapier) to a "Money-in-transit account"
    2. Manually bookkeep Shopify Payouts as a withdrawal from Money-in-transit, which is split as a transfer to your bank account for the full amount before fees, and a charge to processing fee expense.

This would give you accurate books, while taking away a substantial part of the data entry.

• Options

Hi @PaulC

Thanks for this link. I'll try this out.

• Options
    jessejsharpejessejsharpe Member Posts: 2

Did you end up figuring out where/how/if Shopify records the payment processing fees?

• Options
    JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @jessejsharpe ! From what I understand, Shopify's fees are still included in the imported transactions. To account for the fees in Wave, you will need to manually bookkeep your Shopify payouts as Paul mentioned. We have a great Help Center article on how to action this in your Wave account successfully. Check it out here.

edited October 1, 2020